Re: New Member

  • windmill4048
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010

      I own a disel powered Rescue Minor and find it to be a very good boat for shallow waters in Florida bays.

      The design does perform better when the overall weight is loer, say 800 -900 pounds or less. If you are thinking about electric power you need to do some very careful weight projections first.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2010
        Unless very shallow draft is important, Rescue Minor isn't a good choice
        for electric power. The "fuel" for an electric motor is very heavy and
        bulky. If you put a powerful enough electric motor in Rescue Minor to give
        her the performance Wm. Atkin designed he for you could only put enough
        batteries in her to have a very, very short range; any more and she'd get
        too heavy to perform well. The most sensible thing to do would be to put a
        small electric motor in Rescue Minor and run her as a displacement speed
        boat. Weight isn't so important in that speed range, and the small motor
        won't need as many batteries for good range anyway. But Rescue Minor's
        hull isn't particularly efficient at displacement speeds, and electric
        motors work most efficiently with large propellers, and Rescue Minor
        doesn't have room for a big wheel. You could do an electric Rescue Minor,
        but I don't think you'd be very happy with it.

        Better choices for electric power would be some of the Atkin boats
        designed to get along with little power. The ones intended to use
        relatively slow turning engines like the Universal Fisherman should be
        able to accommodate a big enough propeller for efficiency. If you pay
        attention to weight you might end up with an electric boat that'll outrun
        the typical heavy displacement electric boats, yet still have good range.
        The Fisherman with reverse gear weighs almost 300 lb., so replacing that
        lump of iron with a much lighter electric motor gives you weight allowance
        for a good start on a battery bank before you start adding extra weight to
        the boat. Here are a few boats I think have promise:

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/EasyGoer.html

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/FrankToop.html

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/SallieHyde.html

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/SergeantFaunce.html

        --
        John (jkohnen@...)
        I am not a member of any organized party — I am a Democrat.