New Member

  • Shawn_A_Rogers
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
      Hello! I'm a newbie just getting to know Atkin boats. I'm attracted to the rescue minor design and wonder if anyone knows if it was ever done with electric power.
      SR
    • windmill4048
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010

        I own a disel powered Rescue Minor and find it to be a very good boat for shallow waters in Florida bays.

        The design does perform better when the overall weight is loer, say 800 -900 pounds or less. If you are thinking about electric power you need to do some very careful weight projections first.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2010
          Unless very shallow draft is important, Rescue Minor isn't a good choice
          for electric power. The "fuel" for an electric motor is very heavy and
          bulky. If you put a powerful enough electric motor in Rescue Minor to give
          her the performance Wm. Atkin designed he for you could only put enough
          batteries in her to have a very, very short range; any more and she'd get
          too heavy to perform well. The most sensible thing to do would be to put a
          small electric motor in Rescue Minor and run her as a displacement speed
          boat. Weight isn't so important in that speed range, and the small motor
          won't need as many batteries for good range anyway. But Rescue Minor's
          hull isn't particularly efficient at displacement speeds, and electric
          motors work most efficiently with large propellers, and Rescue Minor
          doesn't have room for a big wheel. You could do an electric Rescue Minor,
          but I don't think you'd be very happy with it.

          Better choices for electric power would be some of the Atkin boats
          designed to get along with little power. The ones intended to use
          relatively slow turning engines like the Universal Fisherman should be
          able to accommodate a big enough propeller for efficiency. If you pay
          attention to weight you might end up with an electric boat that'll outrun
          the typical heavy displacement electric boats, yet still have good range.
          The Fisherman with reverse gear weighs almost 300 lb., so replacing that
          lump of iron with a much lighter electric motor gives you weight allowance
          for a good start on a battery bank before you start adding extra weight to
          the boat. Here are a few boats I think have promise:

          http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/EasyGoer.html

          http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/FrankToop.html

          http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/SallieHyde.html

          http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/SergeantFaunce.html

          --
          John (jkohnen@...)
          I am not a member of any organized party — I am a Democrat.