Thole pins, kabes or kjeip?

  • Brandon F
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2010
      Thole pins are what Atkin specified in the plans for Valgerda. I was planning, looking forward in fact, to putting thole pins on Ravn... that is until I saw pictures of faerings fitted out with kabes or kjeip. (I believe that kabe is the name Shetland Islanders call them and kjeip is the Norwegian.) These are even more traditional (on faerings, at least) than thole pins. And they are way more bitching! The problem for me was that I didn't have anything but pictures to go on in designing the two pair of kabes for Ravn. But I got them made and on the boat.

      See pictures on http://valgerda.blogspot.com

      Brandon