Recognizably an Atkin designs

  • stu
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2010
      Hi, folks,

      I've been the proud caretaker of an Atkin 26 foot gaff-rigged tops'l cutter (Gary Thomas) for almost 6 months now, and owing to the unusually nice weather on Puget Sound this year, I've been out a fair amount, though mostly puttering about Lake Washington with the Yanmar one-lunger.  This past, stunningly beautiful weekend I actually felt her strain and groan to the pull of a fresh breeze, and heading in, another sailor on the water complimented the boat, and remarked "she's an Atkins, no?".  This has happened now twice in a two weeks.

      I confess that when I started looking for a boat a year ago and finally stumbled onto Ripple, I was not familiar with Atkin designs, and frankly, thought that buying a wooden boat was romantic, but impractical.  I am flushed with embarrassment at those thoughts now, and grateful every time I step aboard this gem of a craft.  For all that, I'm still surprised (and gratified) that she is so instantly recognized on the water.

      I'll be at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival this September, and would love to connect with anyone on the list.

      Stuart Weibel
      Seattle, Washington
      http://svripple.blogspot.com/