Re: Everhope

  • losttheplot@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 23, 2010
      I think I may have my terminology a little mixed up. I was Thinking of Glued Lapstrake plywood construction. Not sure why I called it strip. Although strip planking has not been ruled out.I live near Vancouver Island so I could get good red cedar in 20ft plus lengths easy enough.

      I need more of a boat than "rescue minor".
      The "little water" may be too much............
      So I am thinking the "everhope" is the porridge for me

      I think I have found all the pictures and videos on the net of the rescue minor ;-)

      The everhope does not have the heights above the water line listed like in other boat descriptions. I guess I will have to get the plans so I can stroll the docks with a tape measure to get a visual idea.

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 24, 2010
        I don't know why I didn't put Everhope's specs in her catalog page. She
        must have been one of the early boats into the online catalog, before I
        caught my stride. <g> I've updated her page:

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/Everhope.html

        The plans call for 7/16" white cedar lapstrake planking. I think Everhope
        could be planked with lapstrake plywood "planks," but some of them might
        need some persuasion (boiling water, steam). A friend of mine has had good
        luck steaming marine plywood, but I think you'd need to be sure to use the
        best grade of plywood you can find.

        I hope you build an Everhope. You're not so far away from me, so maybe I'd
        get to see her in the flesh!

        --
        John (jkohnen@...)
        School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 28, 2010
          I have the article on Everhope from motorboating's Ideal series on file in my hard drive. If you would like to see it let me know here as I don't usually check that Email.

          I also have Shoals Runner, Rescue Minor, Heron, Nibble, and Little Water. It is interesting to compare the lines on these boats.

          ...........................Tom C
        • losttheplot@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 28, 2010
            That would be great.
            Could you please send them to me Via this e-mail?

            Thank you.

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <calfee20@...> wrote:

            > I have the article on Everhope from motorboating's Ideal series on file in my hard drive. If you would like to see it let me know here as I don't usually check that Email.
            >
            > I also have Shoals Runner, Rescue Minor, Heron, Nibble, and Little Water. It is interesting to compare the lines on these boats.
            >
            > ...........................Tom C

          • austindolph
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
              I'd be interested to see Shoals Runner and Little Water and any others you want to take the time to send. The address is

              johndolph@...

              Thanks for the generous offer of your time and resources.

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <calfee20@...> wrote:

              > I have the article on Everhope from motorboating's Ideal series on file in my hard drive. If you would like to see it let me know here as I don't usually check that Email.
              >
              > I also have Shoals Runner, Rescue Minor, Heron, Nibble, and Little Water. It is interesting to compare the lines on these boats.
              >
              > ...........................Tom C

            • Tom
              Message 6 of 14 , May 4, 2010
                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "austindolph" <johndolph@...> wrote:

                > I'd be interested to see Shoals Runner and Little Water and any others you want to take the time to send. The address is
                >
                > johndolph@...
                >
                > Thanks for the generous offer of your time and resources.

                I tried sending you an email through the group and it got kicked back to me.

                When you look at your email here the whole thing is not printed so I am at a loss of what to do.

                My calfee20@yahoo is so full of junk that it is hard to use. If you are a member of the wooden boat forum maybe we could link up there

                ............................Tom C
              • Tom
                Message 7 of 14 , May 4, 2010
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "losttheplot@..." <sccaribe@...> wrote:

                  > That would be great.
                  > Could you please send them to me Via this e-mail?
                  >
                  > Thank you.

                  Did you get my Email and attachments it didn't get kicked back so I guess you did.
                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 4, 2010
                    How annoying, I don't know why but I'll try till it works.

                    johndolph@...

                    johndolph @ hotmail.com

                    my name is john dolph and the email account is with hotmail

                    one of those should work.

                    Thanks so much.

                    John Dolph

                  • losttheplot@ymail.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 5, 2010
                      Yes ,I have received them, THANK you.
                      It is very helpful to be able to see the scantlings.
                      Also the line drawings with the helm etc.. give a good perspective of the dimensions.

                      I have recently noticed the "wake robin". The performance seems to be similar to everhope. The construction, I am sure, would be much simpler.

                      However, with the amount of drifting logs around here, I would always be worried about the prop/rudder.