Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Everhope

Expand Messages
  • windmill4048
    ... Everhope is very similar to Rescue Minor and to Sholes Runner. I own a Rescue Minor and suggest that there is more boat in Everhope, depending on your
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 23, 2010
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "losttheplot@..." <losttheplot@...> wrote:
      >
      > Has anyone built an Everhope or know of any pictures on the web.
      >
      > I would like to try to build one from strip plank plywood, does anyone know if this design would lend itself to strip planking with plywood?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >

      Everhope is very similar to Rescue Minor and to Sholes Runner. I own a Rescue Minor and suggest that there is more boat in Everhope, depending on your requirements.

      Rob White strip built a Rescue Minor that actually used the gracefull, curvey Everhope aft end. It is a very pleasing boat and very useful.

      However, Rob's son Wes says that that boat was the only one that he saw his day loft first and his dad, a professional wooden boat builder, commented that it was one of the hardest forms he every shaped.

      I do know that several actual Rescue Minors have been built. I suspect that a skilled builder would find strip building Everhope easier that forming the complex aft shapes from plywood.

      There are lots of pictures of Rob's Rescue Minor around, including a Wooden Boat article from issue 189, March 2006.
    • losttheplot@ymail.com
      I think I may have my terminology a little mixed up. I was Thinking of Glued Lapstrake plywood construction. Not sure why I called it strip. Although strip
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 23, 2010
        I think I may have my terminology a little mixed up. I was Thinking of Glued Lapstrake plywood construction. Not sure why I called it strip. Although strip planking has not been ruled out.I live near Vancouver Island so I could get good red cedar in 20ft plus lengths easy enough.

        I need more of a boat than "rescue minor".
        The "little water" may be too much............
        So I am thinking the "everhope" is the porridge for me

        I think I have found all the pictures and videos on the net of the rescue minor ;-)

        The everhope does not have the heights above the water line listed like in other boat descriptions. I guess I will have to get the plans so I can stroll the docks with a tape measure to get a visual idea.







        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "windmill4048" <baileyd4048@...> wrote:
        >
        >
        >
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "losttheplot@" <losttheplot@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Has anyone built an Everhope or know of any pictures on the web.
        > >
        > > I would like to try to build one from strip plank plywood, does anyone know if this design would lend itself to strip planking with plywood?
        > >
        > > Thanks.
        > >
        >
        > Everhope is very similar to Rescue Minor and to Sholes Runner. I own a Rescue Minor and suggest that there is more boat in Everhope, depending on your requirements.
        >
        > Rob White strip built a Rescue Minor that actually used the gracefull, curvey Everhope aft end. It is a very pleasing boat and very useful.
        >
        > However, Rob's son Wes says that that boat was the only one that he saw his day loft first and his dad, a professional wooden boat builder, commented that it was one of the hardest forms he every shaped.
        >
        > I do know that several actual Rescue Minors have been built. I suspect that a skilled builder would find strip building Everhope easier that forming the complex aft shapes from plywood.
        >
        > There are lots of pictures of Rob's Rescue Minor around, including a Wooden Boat article from issue 189, March 2006.
        >
      • John Kohnen
        I don t know why I didn t put Everhope s specs in her catalog page. She must have been one of the early boats into the online catalog, before I caught my
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 24, 2010
          I don't know why I didn't put Everhope's specs in her catalog page. She
          must have been one of the early boats into the online catalog, before I
          caught my stride. <g> I've updated her page:

          http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/Everhope.html

          The plans call for 7/16" white cedar lapstrake planking. I think Everhope
          could be planked with lapstrake plywood "planks," but some of them might
          need some persuasion (boiling water, steam). A friend of mine has had good
          luck steaming marine plywood, but I think you'd need to be sure to use the
          best grade of plywood you can find.

          I hope you build an Everhope. You're not so far away from me, so maybe I'd
          get to see her in the flesh!

          On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 20:18:39 -0600, losttheplot wrote:

          > I think I may have my terminology a little mixed up. I was Thinking of
          > Glued Lapstrake plywood construction. Not sure why I called it strip.
          > Although strip planking has not been ruled out.I live near Vancouver
          > Island so I could get good red cedar in 20ft plus lengths easy enough.
          > ...
          > The everhope does not have the heights above the water line listed like
          > in other boat descriptions. I guess I will have to get the plans so I
          > can stroll the docks with a tape measure to get a visual idea.


          --
          John (jkohnen@...)
          School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of
          human existence . They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks,
          new and unpleasant ordinances, brutal violations of common sense
          and common decency. (H. L. Mencken)
        • Tom
          I have the article on Everhope from motorboating s Ideal series on file in my hard drive. If you would like to see it let me know here as I don t usually check
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 28, 2010
            I have the article on Everhope from motorboating's Ideal series on file in my hard drive. If you would like to see it let me know here as I don't usually check that Email.

            I also have Shoals Runner, Rescue Minor, Heron, Nibble, and Little Water. It is interesting to compare the lines on these boats.

            ...........................Tom C
          • losttheplot@ymail.com
            That would be great. Could you please send them to me Via this e-mail? Thank you.
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 28, 2010
              That would be great.
              Could you please send them to me Via this e-mail?

              Thank you.

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <calfee20@...> wrote:
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > I have the article on Everhope from motorboating's Ideal series on file in my hard drive. If you would like to see it let me know here as I don't usually check that Email.
              >
              > I also have Shoals Runner, Rescue Minor, Heron, Nibble, and Little Water. It is interesting to compare the lines on these boats.
              >
              > ...........................Tom C
              >
            • austindolph
              I d be interested to see Shoals Runner and Little Water and any others you want to take the time to send. The address is johndolph@hotmail.com Thanks for the
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                I'd be interested to see Shoals Runner and Little Water and any others you want to take the time to send. The address is

                johndolph@...

                Thanks for the generous offer of your time and resources.



                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <calfee20@...> wrote:
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > I have the article on Everhope from motorboating's Ideal series on file in my hard drive. If you would like to see it let me know here as I don't usually check that Email.
                >
                > I also have Shoals Runner, Rescue Minor, Heron, Nibble, and Little Water. It is interesting to compare the lines on these boats.
                >
                > ...........................Tom C
                >
              • Tom
                ... I tried sending you an email through the group and it got kicked back to me. When you look at your email here the whole thing is not printed so I am at a
                Message 7 of 14 , May 4, 2010
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "austindolph" <johndolph@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I'd be interested to see Shoals Runner and Little Water and any others you want to take the time to send. The address is
                  >
                  > johndolph@...
                  >
                  > Thanks for the generous offer of your time and resources.
                  >
                  >


                  I tried sending you an email through the group and it got kicked back to me.

                  When you look at your email here the whole thing is not printed so I am at a loss of what to do.

                  My calfee20@yahoo is so full of junk that it is hard to use. If you are a member of the wooden boat forum maybe we could link up there

                  ............................Tom C
                • Tom
                  ... Did you get my Email and attachments it didn t get kicked back so I guess you did.
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 4, 2010
                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "losttheplot@..." <sccaribe@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > That would be great.
                    > Could you please send them to me Via this e-mail?
                    >
                    > Thank you.
                    >


                    Did you get my Email and attachments it didn't get kicked back so I guess you did.
                  • Mike
                    How annoying, I don t know why but I ll try till it works. johndolph@hotmail.com johndolph @ hotmail.com my name is john dolph and the email account is with
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 4, 2010
                      How annoying, I don't know why but I'll try till it works.

                      johndolph@...

                      johndolph @ hotmail.com

                      my name is john dolph and the email account is with hotmail

                      one of those should work.

                      Thanks so much.

                      John Dolph

                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <calfee20@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "austindolph" <johndolph@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I'd be interested to see Shoals Runner and Little Water and any others you want to take the time to send. The address is
                      > >
                      > > johndolph@
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for the generous offer of your time and resources.
                      > >
                      > >
                      >
                      >
                      > I tried sending you an email through the group and it got kicked back to me.
                      >
                      > When you look at your email here the whole thing is not printed so I am at a loss of what to do.
                      >
                      > My calfee20@yahoo is so full of junk that it is hard to use. If you are a member of the wooden boat forum maybe we could link up there
                      >
                      > ............................Tom C
                      >
                    • losttheplot@ymail.com
                      Yes ,I have received them, THANK you. It is very helpful to be able to see the scantlings. Also the line drawings with the helm etc.. give a good perspective
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 5, 2010
                        Yes ,I have received them, THANK you.
                        It is very helpful to be able to see the scantlings.
                        Also the line drawings with the helm etc.. give a good perspective of the dimensions.

                        I have recently noticed the "wake robin". The performance seems to be similar to everhope. The construction, I am sure, would be much simpler.

                        However, with the amount of drifting logs around here, I would always be worried about the prop/rudder.








                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <calfee20@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "losttheplot@" <sccaribe@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > That would be great.
                        > > Could you please send them to me Via this e-mail?
                        > >
                        > > Thank you.
                        > >
                        >
                        >
                        > Did you get my Email and attachments it didn't get kicked back so I guess you did.
                        >
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.