Atkin Teach

  • yukonflats
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2004
      Has anyone here built this little double ender sailboat? I sure
      like the way it looks and I have access to a bunch of wood. Im
      considering ordering the plans for it but would like to see some
      more pictures or talk to someone who built it. I heard about an
      article in wooden boat about it but Im in a remote area of Thailand
      and am very privlaged to have computer acess and so far I havent
      found it on the internet. any ideas are welcomed. yukon.
    • John B. Trussell
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2004
        Teach is a lovely boat and a Woodenboat article compared it to a Hereshoff 16. Teach'e concave garboard pretty much requires carvel construction and carvel boats are not good dry or trailer sailors. If you can keep a boat in the water and are inclined to build carvel, Teach would be a great choice.

        John T
        Has anyone here built this little double ender sailboat? I sure
        like the way it looks and I have access to a bunch of wood. Im
        considering ordering the plans for it but would like to see some
        more pictures or talk to someone who built it. I heard about an
        article in wooden boat about it but Im in a remote area of Thailand
        and am very privlaged to have computer acess and so far I havent
        found it on the internet. any ideas are welcomed. yukon.

        No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
        <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2004
          Jeff Stobbe, whose Bamaling was our cover girl for a while, built a Teach,
          but he stretched her to 17' and installed a 220 lb. Universal Fisherman
          inboard engine, so his experience may not be typical:

          "I don't think that teach is a very good sailboat. Even with the lead
          ballast the boat is just a little tender. It's waterline beam is 3' 8" very
          canoe like. I lengthened the boat to 17' and mainly use it under power. I
          put a 5hp Universal Fisherman engine in it from the 40's. So the boat is
          mainly a showcase for the engine. I do have a sailing rig on it and as I
          said it is a bit tender even with about 500Lb of lead.... The Fisherman is a
          very heavy engine for a single cylinder,... To a small extent it
          destabilized the boat.... Another drawback is the tiller has to
          sweep outside the boat for a sharp turn, a bit awkward.... I usually us it
          for fishing on Monterey Bay an so far the afternoon breeze here is to strong
          for it."

          I think Teach is a beautiful little boat, and I'd love to have one. But I'd
          expect that she'd not stand up well to a brisk breeze and wouldn't have a
          very high top speed (though she'd probably reach it easily). Many of the
          Atkin boats were designed for summer on Long Island Sound, where the wind is
          usually light, so a reduction in sail area may be appropriate if they're
          going to be used where it's usually windier -- though my thinking is that a
          big rig with easy reefing is the best way to go unless the breeze _never_
          gets light. Teach is also a pretty small boat for a 15-footer, thanks to
          that sharp stern. A Scandinavian style push-pull tiller (see Valgerda) is
          one way to deal with a narrow stern and outboard rudder. Jeff cold-molded
          the bottom so his Teach could live on a trailer. Strip planking it would be
          another option. Oh, and don't put a great big inboard engine in yours! <g>

          Teach was just shown as an example of an Atkin boat in a Wooden Boat article
          about William and John. The author said something like that she was sort of
          a poor man's Herreshoff 12 1/2.

          On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:22:56 -0000, Yukon wrote:
          > Has anyone here built this little double ender sailboat? I sure
          > like the way it looks and I have access to a bunch of wood. Im
          > considering ordering the plans for it but would like to see some
          > more pictures or talk to someone who built it. I heard about an
          > article in wooden boat about it but Im in a remote area of Thailand
          > and am very privlaged to have computer acess and so far I havent
          > found it on the internet. any ideas are welcomed. yukon.

          One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell by
          Dickens without laughing. <Oscar Wilde>