Everhope

  • losttheplot@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 13, 2010
      Has anyone built an Everhope or know of any pictures on the web.

      I would like to try to build one from strip plank plywood, does anyone know if this design would lend itself to strip planking with plywood?

      Thanks.
    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 17, 2010
        I've been on the lookout for more than a year for any pictures of an Everhope - so far nothing.
        If I build one I will also use plywood. At first, because of the glued strakes, I was thinking of eliminating the bent frames, but now I'm thinking they'll come in darn handy for attaching risers, bulkheads, etc. I will probably use fewer frames, though.
        I can't quite decide about the keel. 19mm plywood doesn't seem stiff or sturdy enough to replace 7/8" oak. Might have to glass it or add a another layer. I've noticed that as these boats evolved, Atkin increased the thickness of the flat keel - for instance, Nibble is 1-1/2" thick.

      • losttheplot@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 22, 2010
          From looking at the line drawings, I think she may look similar to "Little Water" obviously 5ft shorter.
          There are pictures of "little water" in the Photo section.

        • losttheplot@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 22, 2010
            There are also some pictures of a boat in the photo section of this group that is called a "little Water" however the stern is not the same, it has no tumble home in the aft sections and overall looks much less of a boat.

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "losttheplot@..." <losttheplot@...> wrote:

            > From looking at the line drawings, I think she may look similar to "Little Water" obviously 5ft shorter.
            > There are pictures of "little water" in the Photo section.
            >

            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <adharvey@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I've been on the lookout for more than a year for any pictures of an Everhope - so far nothing.
            > > If I build one I will also use plywood. At first, because of the glued strakes, I was thinking of eliminating the bent frames, but now I'm thinking they'll come in darn handy for attaching risers, bulkheads, etc. I will probably use fewer frames, though.
            > > I can't quite decide about the keel. 19mm plywood doesn't seem stiff or sturdy enough to replace 7/8" oak. Might have to glass it or add a another layer. I've noticed that as these boats evolved, Atkin increased the thickness of the flat keel - for instance, Nibble is 1-1/2" thick.
            > >
            > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "losttheplot@" <losttheplot@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Has anyone built an Everhope or know of any pictures on the web.
            > > >
            > > > I would like to try to build one from strip plank plywood, does anyone know if this design would lend itself to strip planking with plywood?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks.

          • windmill4048
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 23, 2010
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "losttheplot@..." <losttheplot@...> wrote:

              > Has anyone built an Everhope or know of any pictures on the web.
              >
              > I would like to try to build one from strip plank plywood, does anyone know if this design would lend itself to strip planking with plywood?
              >
              > Thanks.

              Everhope is very similar to Rescue Minor and to Sholes Runner. I own a Rescue Minor and suggest that there is more boat in Everhope, depending on your requirements.

              Rob White strip built a Rescue Minor that actually used the gracefull, curvey Everhope aft end. It is a very pleasing boat and very useful.

              However, Rob's son Wes says that that boat was the only one that he saw his day loft first and his dad, a professional wooden boat builder, commented that it was one of the hardest forms he every shaped.

              I do know that several actual Rescue Minors have been built. I suspect that a skilled builder would find strip building Everhope easier that forming the complex aft shapes from plywood.

              There are lots of pictures of Rob's Rescue Minor around, including a Wooden Boat article from issue 189, March 2006.
            • losttheplot@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 23, 2010
                I think I may have my terminology a little mixed up. I was Thinking of Glued Lapstrake plywood construction. Not sure why I called it strip. Although strip planking has not been ruled out.I live near Vancouver Island so I could get good red cedar in 20ft plus lengths easy enough.

                I need more of a boat than "rescue minor".
                The "little water" may be too much............
                So I am thinking the "everhope" is the porridge for me

                I think I have found all the pictures and videos on the net of the rescue minor ;-)

                The everhope does not have the heights above the water line listed like in other boat descriptions. I guess I will have to get the plans so I can stroll the docks with a tape measure to get a visual idea.

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 24, 2010
                  I don't know why I didn't put Everhope's specs in her catalog page. She
                  must have been one of the early boats into the online catalog, before I
                  caught my stride. <g> I've updated her page:

                  http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/Everhope.html

                  The plans call for 7/16" white cedar lapstrake planking. I think Everhope
                  could be planked with lapstrake plywood "planks," but some of them might
                  need some persuasion (boiling water, steam). A friend of mine has had good
                  luck steaming marine plywood, but I think you'd need to be sure to use the
                  best grade of plywood you can find.

                  I hope you build an Everhope. You're not so far away from me, so maybe I'd
                  get to see her in the flesh!

                  --
                  John (jkohnen@...)
                  School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 28, 2010
                    I have the article on Everhope from motorboating's Ideal series on file in my hard drive. If you would like to see it let me know here as I don't usually check that Email.

                    I also have Shoals Runner, Rescue Minor, Heron, Nibble, and Little Water. It is interesting to compare the lines on these boats.

                    ...........................Tom C
                  • losttheplot@ymail.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 28, 2010
                      That would be great.
                      Could you please send them to me Via this e-mail?

                      Thank you.

                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <calfee20@...> wrote:

                      > I have the article on Everhope from motorboating's Ideal series on file in my hard drive. If you would like to see it let me know here as I don't usually check that Email.
                      >
                      > I also have Shoals Runner, Rescue Minor, Heron, Nibble, and Little Water. It is interesting to compare the lines on these boats.
                      >
                      > ...........................Tom C

                    • austindolph
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                        I'd be interested to see Shoals Runner and Little Water and any others you want to take the time to send. The address is

                        johndolph@...

                        Thanks for the generous offer of your time and resources.

                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <calfee20@...> wrote:

                        > I have the article on Everhope from motorboating's Ideal series on file in my hard drive. If you would like to see it let me know here as I don't usually check that Email.
                        >
                        > I also have Shoals Runner, Rescue Minor, Heron, Nibble, and Little Water. It is interesting to compare the lines on these boats.
                        >
                        > ...........................Tom C

                      • Tom
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 4, 2010
                          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "austindolph" <johndolph@...> wrote:

                          > I'd be interested to see Shoals Runner and Little Water and any others you want to take the time to send. The address is
                          >
                          > johndolph@...
                          >
                          > Thanks for the generous offer of your time and resources.

                          I tried sending you an email through the group and it got kicked back to me.

                          When you look at your email here the whole thing is not printed so I am at a loss of what to do.

                          My calfee20@yahoo is so full of junk that it is hard to use. If you are a member of the wooden boat forum maybe we could link up there

                          ............................Tom C
                        • Tom
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 4, 2010
                            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "losttheplot@..." <sccaribe@...> wrote:

                            > That would be great.
                            > Could you please send them to me Via this e-mail?
                            >
                            > Thank you.

                            Did you get my Email and attachments it didn't get kicked back so I guess you did.
                          • Mike
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 4, 2010
                              How annoying, I don't know why but I'll try till it works.

                              johndolph@...

                              johndolph @ hotmail.com

                              my name is john dolph and the email account is with hotmail

                              one of those should work.

                              Thanks so much.

                              John Dolph

                            • losttheplot@ymail.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 5, 2010
                                Yes ,I have received them, THANK you.
                                It is very helpful to be able to see the scantlings.
                                Also the line drawings with the helm etc.. give a good perspective of the dimensions.

                                I have recently noticed the "wake robin". The performance seems to be similar to everhope. The construction, I am sure, would be much simpler.

                                However, with the amount of drifting logs around here, I would always be worried about the prop/rudder.