Sister ship to Sjovind

  • Tilikum
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2004
      Hello,

      I have recently purchased the boat "Sjovind", known to
      have been built to plans from Atkin Boat works, but
      I'm not certain which hull design she is. The hull
      lines look similar to "Clione" I know of one other
      built to these plans, "Auwana", but there was rumored
      to be a third. Any ideas? I'd appreciate any
      information you might have.

      Thanks,
      Daniel

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2004
        I've forwarded your query to Mrs. Atkin, but the correspondence that might
        contain an answer isn't stored in an easily searchable manner, so I wouldn't
        hold out much hope for an answer from that direction. Do you have any
        photos? They might help jog somebody here's memory, and of course we all
        like to look at pictures of Atkin boats! <g> Is the boat in Port Townsend?
        I'd like to take a look at it when I'm up there for the Wooden Boat Festival
        if it is.

        Did Tilikum sell the fiberglass Eric, Jr.? I ran across mention of a
        fiberglass Eric, Jr. in the Newport newspaper the other day. A rare
        fiberglass boat built in 1929!! <g>

        http://www.newportnewstimes.com/articles/2004/07/23/community/community01.txt

        On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:10:38 -0700 (PDT), Daniel wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I have recently purchased the boat "Sjovind", known to
        > have been built to plans from Atkin Boat works, but
        > I'm not certain which hull design she is. The hull
        > lines look similar to "Clione" I know of one other
        > built to these plans, "Auwana", but there was rumored
        > to be a third. Any ideas? I'd appreciate any
        > information you might have.

        Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine.
        <H. W. Tilman>
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2004
          It looks like the closest match in the current catalog to Sjovind & Auwana
          would be Fram or Gundred. You didn't give us much to go on, but a look in
          the documentation database turned up dimensions of 34.3' length of tonnage
          (rudder post to where the stem crosses the waterline, IIRC) and a beam of
          10.5' for Sjovind and a length of 34' and beam of 10.6' for Auwana. Sjovind
          was built by James E. Stevenson at San Jose in 1955, Awana was built at
          Honolulu in 1961 by Ronald Linderman.

          http://www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/commercial/landings/cg_vessel2.html

          Do you know this boat:

          http://www.boat-links.com/PT/PT2001/Archer.jpg

          I care not for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the better for it.
          <Abraham Lincoln>