Re: Eric

  • titanicslim
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 19, 2010
      OK- I guess it's my turn now.

      Since an Eric is too big a boat for a novice's first attempt, we're advising you to build a double-ender dinghy for practice, right? I'm not familiar with the Lynaes model but I don't think it will teach many applicable tasks. Wherever you decide to hang it, I recommend you build a regular carvel sailing peapod: about a 15-footer. The John Gardener book that will take you through the process step-by-step is called Building Classic Small Craft and is available here for USD7.00 http://www.amazon.com/Building-Classic-Small-Craft-1/dp/0877422990/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269022303&sr=8-8.

      Now, this is too much to stow on board an Eric Ketch, but you haven't got an Eric now, have you? A pod of this sort will be a huge project, but one that will not be nearly as likely to rot on the building molds before she's done. And when you're done, you will have a really cool boat that will do nearly everything an Eric will do except ruin you financially.

      What she will do, however, is teach you a whole lot about lofting, set-up, bending frames, planking a set-works double-ender (and that suggests a book) caulking and everything the Eric will require of you except engine installation. And you will learn all these essential skills on a manageable scale. By the way, I usually tow a tender when I need one.

      Also, whilst we're telling you how to spend your children's inheritance, this is the boat you really want to build: http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/EricJr.html

      Lots of luck,
      Dave
    • John Almberg
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 19, 2010
        Good advice, Dave. I particularly concur with the practicality of an Eric Jr..

        Sailor's imaginations tend to drift towards bigger and bigger boats, but really, a much smaller sea worthy boat will do, and is MUCH more affordable. The obvious reference is the Pardeys, who manged to circle the world several times in under 30' boats.

        But the first thing is to build *something* and that first something should NOT be a big boat, in my opinion.

        Another suggestion for a first boat would be William Atkin's "Snow Baby". I guess if my final goal was to build a Wiliam Atkin boat, I'd want to build an Atkin small boat, first. In doing so, you are bound to pick up some knowledge of how the designer thinks and draws which will come in handy when you are staring at the plans for your big boat.

        But, I guess strictly speaking, you're going to learn a lot building any small boat, as long as it is built using similar methods.

        -- John

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 19, 2010

          > Another suggestion for a first boat would be William Atkin's "Snow
          > Baby". I guess if my final goal was to build a Wiliam Atkin boat, I'd
          > want to build an Atkin small boat, first. In doing so, you are bound to
          > pick up some knowledge of how the designer thinks and draws which will
          > come in handy when you are staring at the plans for your big boat.

          You make a good point, John.    Is Snow Baby drawn as a clinker boat or carvel?   My personal favorite is the Sanderling and,  given the least excuse, I would haul off and build one of those.
        • Brandon F
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 20, 2010
            If you like Atkin double enders, you can't beat Valgerda. Of course I'm a little biased. It's a big project for a fist time builder, but you can do it in a regular-sized garage and when you get done you have a very capable boat.

            You could also look around for a used Atkin Ingrid. Bluewater Boats cranked out 50 or so back in the early '80s. They are beautiful boats and in fiberglass, which is a heck of a lot easier to maintain when you get into that size of boat. I know what all you wooden boat types are thinking right now. Save it. I've had them both. Anything over 20 feet needs to be made out of fiberglass.

            Note to Alan: Great job on Rhapsody in Glue! That's a big project.

            Brandon
            http//:valgerda.blogspot.com