Re: [AtkinBoats] Russell R Plans Ordered

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2004
      Good for you John! I hope you get a Russell R, built so I can see one in
      person. <g> There are flat-bottom boats, and flat-bottom boats. The Atkins
      knew how to draw _good_ flat-bottom boats. Take a look at how sharp Russel
      R's bottom is forward, and the flare in the sides at the bow. At
      displacement and near-displacement speeds I'll bet Russell R. won't pound
      very much in a chop, and will be dry.

      It's be a good idea to build a model, or half model, to make sure sheet
      plywood will fit around Russell R's sides. I bet it will, but I myself would
      be tempted to do the sides with lapped plywood planks, glued at the laps and
      slightly thinner than the specified cedar. I wouldn't change the framing at
      all, and would lay the bottom sheets of plywood crosswise. I'd try to find a
      four-stroke 15 horse engine for my Russell R, but most, if not all, 15s are
      just 9.9s with a few tweaks, a 9.9 might push Russell R. almost as fast.
      (I've been in love with Russell R. for a while now myself, and think it's be
      great for camp-cruising the San Juans)

      Russell R. will look a lot better on the beach at Sucia with the other boats
      than Brucesboat! ;o) But I should talk, since I'm working myself up to build
      a Michalak Scram Pram for the same service, and it's at least as homely as
      Brucesboat! <g>

      Did I mention that some pictures I took at our recent small boat rendezvous
      at Sucia Island are online?

      http://www.boat-links.com/Sucia/

      On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:42:57 -0700, John E wrote:
      > Early this year I bought study plans for the Atkins' Russell R. (to be
      found under 'Rowboats & Outboards' at http://www.atkinboatplans.com/) and
      now I have taken the next step and ordered the full plans. I'm not fully
      committed to Russell R. but interested enough to want a closer look. My
      brother-in-law thinks I'm obsessed by the devil or something for considering
      a flat-bottomed boat but I like how easily Russell R., aprox. 22' x 5.5',
      would be driven by low power (circa 10 hp). Russell R. is designed to be
      cross-planked on the bottom, with lapstrake sides, but there was some
      discussion earlier about building it in plywood; this is one matter I will
      no-doubt wish to discuss with members of this group once I've had a look at
      the full plans.

      > For the record, I should say that a vaguely similar boat that is still
      under consideration is Michalak's Brucesboat. It's also long a narrow (19' x
      5') but multi-chined, shallower of freeboard and more like an overgrown
      canoe as designed but I figure either boat should get me and camping gear to
      next year's Sucia Rendezvous. :-0

      Why should we take advice on sex from the Pope?
      If he knows anything about it, he shouldn't. <G. B. Shaw>