Sixteen Two Speed

  • Lloyd Sumpter
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2010
      (second try - first one didn't get through...?)
      Hi

      I'm looking at building a boat around my old 10 hp diesel, and I'm
      looking at several Atkins designs, including the Sixteen Too. But I have
      a question about the speeds mentioned in the "blurb":

      Considering the amount of rocker in the hull, and the fact the transom
      seems to be pretty much out of the water, I'd consider the design
      "displacement" (as opposed to semi-displacement or planing), which would
      restrict it to hull speed, which would be about 5 knots. But the blurb
      says it will go "10 to 11 mph", which is about 8.5 knots, or 160% of
      hull speed, with only 5 hp.

      Can someone who's actually built a Sixteen Too confirm the speeds it can
      achieve? Can you get substantially over hullspeed with under 10hp?

      druid
      http://www.bcboatnet.org