UnlikelyBoatBuilder: Symmetry

  • John Almberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2010
      Wondering how I cut the 'gains' on my first plank after it had been fastened to the forms? It wasn't easy...

      What are 'gains'? On a lapstrake boat, like the one below, the planks overlap for the full length of the boat, but overlap magically disappears at the stem (and sometimes at the transom).

      There are several ways to perform this disappearing lap trick. I chose the method that looked the simplest to me: cutting a sloping rabbit along the edge of each plank...

      Read complete blog post:

      http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2010/02/symmetry.html

      Enjoy: John