Rescue Minor

  • oldbingey
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 28, 2004
      Dear Curtis Betts,

      I think an aluminum Rescue Minor would be excellent in your
      situation. You could cobble up a little temporary house on there
      out of plywood just to see how it would look but I wouldn't do a lot
      of welding initially. Maybe a canvas rig. As for the old Mercedes
      engine, it is way too powerful and big and so is any Japanese pickup
      truck engine. I am running a little Kubota 3 cyl tractor engine of
      only 20 hp and it is plenty... will easily plane the boat with a
      whole roof's worth of asphalt shingles and the tarpaper, too. The
      little engine only weighs 135 pounds and is very smooth, quiet and
      smokeless. Of course I run a flat belt drive and don't have a
      transmission or bellhousing but a little Hurth transmission and all
      wouldn't weigh too much. I believe that Universal sells a real
      marinized one of those engines and claims that it is the perfect
      replacement for the old Atomic four and I bet it is. Of course the
      real marine deal costs a bunch of money whereas the tractor version
      only cost me about $1,700. With an aluminum boat, a keel cooler
      wouldn't be any trouble at all so you wouldn't need any of that
      maritime stuff like a heat exchanger or anything and you could run a
      dry exhaust right out the transom... fool proof.

      Atkin said that weight is a big factor with the boat and my fooling
      around has borne that out. Though the boat will carry a very big
      load, it is wet under those circumstances. I would be careful to
      keep it as light as possible.

      Keep posting. That's a fascinating project.

      Robb White
    • ojskiff
      Message 38 of 38 , May 18 5:23 AM
        I have seen 4 Resue Minors built and 3 of the builders modified Atkin's plans.  All 3 of them had problems with the performance.  Atkin's knew what he was doing and I would recommend that anyone build it according to the plan.I built one under Sea Island Boatworks (Mark Bayne) and we followed the plans to the "tee"  The boat preformed perfectly.  I would advise that everyone stick to the plans.  I have a lot of Rescue Minor construction photos posted at www.morrisislandboatworks.com