UnlikelyBoatBuilder: A Garboard Tragedy (Act 1)

  • John Almberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2010
      The first step in getting out any plank is to spile it. Determined, this time, to follow the advice of the Boat Building Books as closely as possible, I read and re-read the pertinent sections of Greg Rossel's "Building Small Boats" until I believed I understood exactly what I was supposed to do.

      One important point was to not try to use one, long, single piece spiling batten. Such a batten cannot be curved around the forms in the right place without being edge set. And, I understood, edge setting a spiling batten is a sure path to depression, suicide, or worse...

      Read complete blog post:

      Enjoy: John