Re: Atkin Fore-an-Aft (Square Sail Gear)

  • xstncl
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 27, 2010
      I need to correct myself here. The Claud Worth gear I described is in his second book _Yacht Navigation and Voyaging_.

      Bob

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Bob Johnson <dredbob@...> wrote:

      > There are lighter and simpler ways to rig a square sail yard than the
      > Herreshoff style bronze fitting on a mast track. One devised by a
      > yachtsman of much voyaging experience is Claud Worth's, described in
      > his book _Yacht Cruising_. It consists of a simple fitting that rides
      > on the forestay and is hoisted by the fore-staysail or jib halyard up
      > to the desired height, but keeping somewhat away from and ahead of the
      > mast so that the yard can be braced around without bearing on the
      > shrouds. The fitting carries a halyard for the square-sail yard which
      > can be got ready on deck. The course can be stopped to the yard with
      > twine (or rubber bands) and broken out after hoisting by pull on the
      > sheets. A raffee, if used, would be set above and outside of the stay.
      >
      > A small square-sail and yard can just be hoisted on a halyard with
      > pretty much no other gear.
      > Check out this thread on the WoodenBoat forum for some info on how Dave
      > Hadfield does it on his Drake.
      >
      > <http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12485&highlight=drake>
      >
      > Note that I'm not claiming any special expertise or that any way is
      > better than any other, just showing some alternatives. I crew on a
      > smaller replica sailing ship, and square-sail gear for yachts has
      > become one of my interests.
      >
      > I'd love to see more pictures and details from any one who has rigged
      > any form of square sail other non-spinnaker downwind sail.
      >
      > Bob
      >

      > > Posted by: "John" John.Frodigh@... john.frodigh
      > >
      > > Hello, I am restoring an Atkin Fore-an Aft and I am considering adding
      > > a square fore-topsail similar to Tresarus, any thoughts on how to go
      > > about it? I also will need to make or buy a truss yoke and topmast
      > > jackstay.

    • praetorian1962
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2010
        There were 4 editions of this book.
        What edition?
        1927, 1929, 1935, 1947???
        Thanks

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "xstncl" <dredbob@...> wrote:

        > I need to correct myself here. The Claud Worth gear I described is in his second book _Yacht Navigation and Voyaging_.
        >
        > Bob
        >
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Bob Johnson <dredbob@> wrote:
        > >
        > > There are lighter and simpler ways to rig a square sail yard than the
        > > Herreshoff style bronze fitting on a mast track. One devised by a
        > > yachtsman of much voyaging experience is Claud Worth's, described in
        > > his book _Yacht Cruising_. It consists of a simple fitting that rides
        > > on the forestay and is hoisted by the fore-staysail or jib halyard up
        > > to the desired height, but keeping somewhat away from and ahead of the
        > > mast so that the yard can be braced around without bearing on the
        > > shrouds. The fitting carries a halyard for the square-sail yard which
        > > can be got ready on deck. The course can be stopped to the yard with
        > > twine (or rubber bands) and broken out after hoisting by pull on the
        > > sheets. A raffee, if used, would be set above and outside of the stay.
        > >
        > > A small square-sail and yard can just be hoisted on a halyard with
        > > pretty much no other gear.
        > > Check out this thread on the WoodenBoat forum for some info on how Dave
        > > Hadfield does it on his Drake.
        > >
        > > <http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12485&highlight=drake>
        > >
        > > Note that I'm not claiming any special expertise or that any way is
        > > better than any other, just showing some alternatives. I crew on a
        > > smaller replica sailing ship, and square-sail gear for yachts has
        > > become one of my interests.
        > >
        > > I'd love to see more pictures and details from any one who has rigged
        > > any form of square sail other non-spinnaker downwind sail.
        > >
        > > Bob
        > >

        > > > Posted by: "John" John.Frodigh@ john.frodigh
        > > >
        > > > Hello, I am restoring an Atkin Fore-an Aft and I am considering adding
        > > > a square fore-topsail similar to Tresarus, any thoughts on how to go
        > > > about it? I also will need to make or buy a truss yoke and topmast
        > > > jackstay.

      • stu
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2010
          More on the works of Claud Worth:

          http://www.worldcat.org/wcidentities/lccn-n83-826585

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2010
            Claud Worth died in 1936, so I'll bet at least the 1935 and 1947 editions
            are just reprints. I haven't read Yacht Navigation and Voyaging (yet), but
            his Yacht Cruising is a wonderful book.

            --
            John (jkohnen@...)
            Wind to a sailor is what money is to life on shore. (Sterling