Re: [AtkinBoats] Atkin Fore-an-Aft

  • Elaina McCartney
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2010
      Re: [AtkinBoats] Atkin Fore-an-Aft
      Hi John,

      Here are some links to pictures of how the course and raffee rig on Tresarus.  The two yard arms store on deck when not in use, and it's possible for one person to rig (Tresarus is set up for single-handing).  There's a collar into which the two arms fit, and that's bolted to a mastband.

      Yard arms in place:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/emccartney/279513856/

      Hoisting the raffee, with some obvious snags:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/emccartney/875363105/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/emccartney/280314692/

      View of the yard-arm collar looking toward the topmast from the shrouds:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/emccartney/309937119/

      One arm in the collar, getting ready to insert the other, put central tension on to hold in collar, and then rotate:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/emccartney/874191296/

      I tried inserting both arms on deck and then hoisting the whole thing, and it can be done, but it's way too long an item to be done gracefully, and required the windlass.

      The arms stow in chocks on either side of the cabin when not in use, shown here:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/emccartney/1445848938/

      and yes, they are toe-stubbers.

      I have measurements somewhere, if that would be helpful.

      Elaina

      Hello, I am restoring an Atkin Fore-an Aft and I am considering adding a square fore-topsail similar to Tresarus, any thoughts on how to go about it? I also will need to make or buy a truss yoke and topmast jackstay.

      Also any thoughts on converting a cutter to a yawl

      Thanks, John