Re: [AtkinBoats] UnlikelyBoatBuilder: Day 12 - Make Mistakes Slowly

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2010
    Bruce's first message to the group got screwed up somehow. Here it is
    again. Hope it works this time...

    From: John Almberg <jalmberg@...>
    Subject: [AtkinBoats] UnlikelyBoatBuilder: Day 12 - Make Mistakes Slowly
    To: "Atkin-fans" <atkinboats@yahoogroups.com>
    Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 10:05 AM

    There's a woodworking adage that goes something like this: "Every one
    makes mistakes. The difference between a beginner and the Master Craftsman
    is the Master Craftsman knows how to fix his mistakes."

    No doubt this is true, but on the long road that leads to Master
    Craftsmanship, I am still on the 'on' ramp. So I've come up with my own
    adage: "Make Mistakes Slowly".

    Read complete blog post: Make Mistakes Slowly

    http://www.unlikely boatbuilder. com/2010/ 01/make-mistakes -slowly.html

    Enjoy: John

    --
    John (jkohnen@...)
    A lawn is nature under totalitarian rule. (Michael Pollan)
    Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2010
      > Hello John... My name is Bruce T. Martens. I am a San Francisco Bay
      > area Marine Surveyor. I have built several boats and rebuilt many (Make
      > that"...way to many..." older boats. Attached are two photos. Currently
      > I am rebuilding an old 43' 1926 work boat, now-live aboard. I recently
      > saw the John Atkin design NINIGRET 22 and fell in love. Soon I hope to
      > begin her construction. In doing my research, I came upon your 'blog'. I
      > just wanted to say how much I am enjoying following your progress.
      >
      > No matter how long it takes to build your boat, the 'journey' should be as
      > rewarding as the final results. Enjoy every moment... ~BRUCE~ (707)
      > 297-1044

      Hi Bruce,

      Wow... those two pictures are the same boat? That's amazing. Is any of the wood in the second picture original to the first, or did you replace every stick?

      Ninigret is cool... but then, I like all the Atkin designs.

      I'm definitely enjoying the build. I'd rather not be under time pressure, but in some ways, it's convenient... Its too easy to let these projects drag out. Better to finish them and then start anouther, I think!

      Thanks!

      -- John
    • Bruce Martens
      Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2010
      Hello John....  As for new wood, her transom, rub rails all seating and her floor boards are new.  All the rest is cleaned up, re-fastened & then re-finished.  I had to remove and re-bed her keel and both exterior chines.But all went back in place, happy to be getting some attention after all these years.  Like you said, wood IS the best material to restore.

      I had found the boat within the bushes and weeds at the Vallejo Yacht Club.  I was told  that her owner had DIED !!!! ten years ago...  ..  Carry on thru the fog.....    ~BRUCE~