UnlikelyBoatBuilder: Day 15 - Scary Dreams

  • John Almberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2010
      I had a nightmare last night. Not about 60 foot breaking waves in the Gulf of Mexico. Not about being dashed on rocks, or falling overboard. No, I was worried about my lofting.

      I woke up in a cold sweat, realizing that the chance were zero that a batten, run from Cabin Boy's stem to his transom, would show a fair line. I mean, how could the stem, the 4 forms, and the transom all line up perfectly, so that a plank, when pressed around that curve, would touch all 5 points at the same time?

      Impossible. I would have had to do a perfect job of lofting -- and I knew I hadn't done that. And I would have had to build all the forms exactly right, and mounted them, again, exactly right. And then my jury-rigged stem and transom jigs would  have to be perfect.

      Not a chance. The batten would probably have more bump and bends than the Long Island Expressway. My project was doomed...

      Read complete blog post: Scary Dreams

      Enjoy: John