Re: [AtkinBoats] Shoreliner and Sister 2

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2004
      Ed-

      First off, I'm not a naval architect, or even an experienced boatbuilder
      (I've onlt built two very small plywood boats). I'm just someone who know a
      little bit about boats.

      The chapter on New Sister in John Atkin's book Practical Small Boat Designs
      doesn't say anything about a tabernacle, but the drawings for Shore Liner's
      would show you how to make one. But the drawings shown in the chapter on
      Shore Liner show a solid mast, with no tabernacle. It's possible that the
      tabernacle was designed by the builder. I'll ask mrs. Atkin if there are
      tabernacle drawings with the Shore Liner plans.

      Shore Liner and New Sister have a concave curve in the chine, in plan view,
      that might require a compound twist in a sheet of plywood that it wouldn't
      want to take. Building a model, or half model, would show if sheet plywood
      would fit the sides. It's usual to use slightly thinner plywood than the
      specified solid planks when converting to plywood construction. Shore Liner
      calls for 1 1/8" cedar side planking and 1 1/2" oak or cedar bottom
      planking, laid athwartship with no bottom frames. She's built heavy, and
      also carries some ballast. I'd be tempted to use 1 1/2" of plywood on the
      bottom, probably two layers of 3/4" laid crosswise, since the weight is
      useful down there. Anything heavier than 3/4" for the sides would probably
      be too difficult to bend into those concave curves, and I'll bet even that
      would require a lot of persuasion. The framing wouldn't need to be changed.

      Shore Liner and New Sister are just big, fat skiffs. I've got a smaller fat
      skiff, so I've got some idea of how they work. My skiff is quite stable,
      initially, so it's comfortable to stomp around in and sails flat. In a
      short, steep beam sea the high initial stability means that the boat tends
      to stay perpendicular to the water's surface, making for an uncomfortable
      ride. Since she sails flat, going into a chop can be uncomfortable and wet.
      But she stands up to a breeze and can make good time when the wind blows. A
      wide flat-bottom hull has a lot of wetted surface, and my skiff has a small
      sail, so she's a slug in light airs. My skiff was designed for the Oregon
      Coast, where it's usually windy, Shore Liner and New Sister were designed
      for Long Island Sound, where it's not, so they have quite a bit more sail
      for their size. My skiff goes to windward just fine, except in a chop with a
      light breeze. I'd expect Shore Liner and New Sister to perform just fine.

      If you keep your doghouse quite light, and as low as you can stand,
      Ripalong's performance wouldn't be harmed much. If you keep the structure
      light the main thing you'd notice would be the extra windage when
      maneuvering at low speeds. At that, you'd still be much better off than all
      those folks that have ugly modern motorboats with no bottom and and acres
      of superstructure to catch the breeze... Did I say to keep the doghouse
      light? <g>

      On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:49:53 -0000, Ed wrote:
      > John,
      > Pat said I should contact you for any info I might need on the Atkin
      > boat designs.
      > 1st I need to know if the Sister 2 to the Shoreliner is also a
      > tabernacle mast so it can be lowered.
      >
      > 2nd Can she be made in plywood and if so how heavy would it be?
      > How well do these two sailboats perform?
      >
      > 3rd I am also interested in the Jersey Blue and the Ripalong II. I am
      > in Florida on the west coast or Gulf Coast near Ceder Key. Lots of
      > flats here and usually a strom in the afternoon. I need shallow draft
      > badly and protection from the elements. Hence I was also looking at
      > Jersey Blue and Ripalong II. I wonder if a dog house could be added
      > to Ripalong II to give shelter from the weather. Not a big one!
      > Perhaps it could extend foward of the cabin bulkhead by a couple of
      > feet and aft by a couple of feet. Would that affect her performance
      > badly? I like the seaworthiness and the speed and the shallow draft
      > of Ripalong. How would all this affect her performance?
      > What do you suggest?

      "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
      "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the truth.
      <Alfred North Whitehead>