Outboards and Inboards.

  • manyboat
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2009
      I've been googling the Atkin designs, buying a catalogue and several study plans these last several months. I have a 19' FG outboard I like but I really want an outboard that goes 10 to 15 knots gracefully and my FG boat does not. It shines at 18 to 25 and more. I live in a place where Red and Yellow Cedar is plentiful and would like to build a more suitable boat out of local wood. As a plan I see Red Cedar topsides and Yellow Cedar everything else. A 60hp OB on any of the Atkin OB designs is too much power. My 60 Suzuki is in like new condition and I have no intention of discarding it. I've been looking at Marcia, Wader and Little Effort to build as a big open skiff. I know it's not smart to alter the CG as much as would be needed but I see no real difference between Atkin inboards and outboards. I also realize that subtle differences in the botton curve or rocker can have significant effect on turning and attitude at various speeds. I, of course will be moving the fuel supply fwd but will loose much fwd ballast by removing the cabins. I have a reputation for doing whatever I want but I'm certainly very open to criticism, support, opinions or just plain comments

      Eric Henning
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2009
        "If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If
        take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat."

        But if we can't talk you out of it, at least put the outboard in a well,
        not on the transom.

        --
        John (jkohnen@...)
        Heaven, as conventionally conceived, is a place so inane, so
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2009
          Hi John,
          I don't like wells. They concentrate fumes near the boat, produce unnecessary turbulence aft, add weight and reduce flotation aft in addition to causing control cable routing problems in the center of the aft cockpit. They either reduce usable space in the aft cockpit or make the boat unnecessarily long and heavy. No point in attempting to make a OB look like an inboard through bad design.
          As to modifying designs I've done some of that and been mostly successful. I would also consider adding some ballast, frequently recommended by the Atkin's and reducing bottom width therby increasing flare. I think a flat sided boat should have enough flare to avoid tripping on her chines in a beam sea. I would be lowering the CG by omitting the cabins requiring less stability so reducing the bottom width would seem the thing to do, however the ammount of reduction would be beyond my means to calculate. This is, no doubt to myself, the danger of the modification. Also the inconvenience of the changes in lofting and construction may not be worth the trouble. Please help me evaluate these ideas or I may be forced to build a 29' XLNC by scaling up .. that also being a modification. But it looks to me that the XLNC does not have the fullness aft to support an OB, and rightfully so as it's an inboard. But the other designs DO seem to have enough fullness aft for the OB. What think?