Re: The Book of Boats

  • Bob Johnson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2009
      I was fortunate to find a copy of this book in a used book store some
      years ago. _The Book of Boats_ is itself a compilation of two original
      books, the _First Book of Boats_ and the _Second Book of Boats_,
      respectively. Both were edited by the Atkins, father and son, and each
      had some articles written by them. There were also articles by other
      designers/writers of the day. From the forward it is clear that these
      were intended to be a quarterly series (4 volumes yearly) but for
      whatever reason they never progressed past number 2. The First
      apparently came out in 1947, and the Second in 1948, with the reissue
      compilation being put out in 1976.

      The First Book has a little over 100 pages with 24 articles. Some of
      the more well known authors are John Hanna, Frederick Fenger, William
      Gardner, Nelson Zimmer, besides the Atkins. Some of the Atkin vessels
      discussed are Shore Liner, a Seabright Skiff, and a Chesapeake style
      skipjack. There are other boats by other designers, mostly cruising
      sailboats in the 20-some to 30-some foot range, but some power boats
      too. There are no complete plans, but plenty of good drawings
      including lines. Also many nice pen-and-ink style illustrations and a
      few cartoons.

      The Second Book is a little smaller, a mite under 100 pages, and is
      pretty much more of the same. Fifteen articles, and some Atkin vessels
      included are Pendragon (35' cruising ketch), the skiff Mabel, and We're
      Here. Other boats include a Cape Cod Catboat by Mower, a ketch by Tom
      Gilmer, and another small Chesapeake skipjack. John Hanna, William
      Garden, and C.G. Davis also contributed.

      Over all, I'd say it's a book worth having if you are interested in
      older style cruising boats, and/or like reading articles from some of
      the best nautical writers of the day. It's very much like the book
      _The Rudder Treasury_, which came out a few years later, but also has
      been reissued.

      Bob
      ---