The Book of Boats

  • lwo2@inbox.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2009
      Could someone tell us a little bit about what is in this book? I followed the link to Amazon and it has the cover and the author and such right, but the description and table of contents are all about the life of Cardinal Newman. I left some feedback for Amazon so maybe they'll get it sorted before long, but meanwhile there isn't much to go on.

      thanks
    • Bob Johnson
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 22, 2009
        I was fortunate to find a copy of this book in a used book store some
        years ago. _The Book of Boats_ is itself a compilation of two original
        books, the _First Book of Boats_ and the _Second Book of Boats_,
        respectively. Both were edited by the Atkins, father and son, and each
        had some articles written by them. There were also articles by other
        designers/writers of the day. From the forward it is clear that these
        were intended to be a quarterly series (4 volumes yearly) but for
        whatever reason they never progressed past number 2. The First
        apparently came out in 1947, and the Second in 1948, with the reissue
        compilation being put out in 1976.

        The First Book has a little over 100 pages with 24 articles. Some of
        the more well known authors are John Hanna, Frederick Fenger, William
        Gardner, Nelson Zimmer, besides the Atkins. Some of the Atkin vessels
        discussed are Shore Liner, a Seabright Skiff, and a Chesapeake style
        skipjack. There are other boats by other designers, mostly cruising
        sailboats in the 20-some to 30-some foot range, but some power boats
        too. There are no complete plans, but plenty of good drawings
        including lines. Also many nice pen-and-ink style illustrations and a
        few cartoons.

        The Second Book is a little smaller, a mite under 100 pages, and is
        pretty much more of the same. Fifteen articles, and some Atkin vessels
        included are Pendragon (35' cruising ketch), the skiff Mabel, and We're
        Here. Other boats include a Cape Cod Catboat by Mower, a ketch by Tom
        Gilmer, and another small Chesapeake skipjack. John Hanna, William
        Garden, and C.G. Davis also contributed.

        Over all, I'd say it's a book worth having if you are interested in
        older style cruising boats, and/or like reading articles from some of
        the best nautical writers of the day. It's very much like the book
        _The Rudder Treasury_, which came out a few years later, but also has
        been reissued.

        Bob
        ---