Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Chronology of Tunnel Sterns

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 14, 2009
      Oops! I meant to say that #782 is dated May 1954 and #792 is dated May
      1958, so Shoals Runner, #786, is somewhere between... Shoals Runner uses
      1/4" plywood for its planking.

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 19, 2010
      Hi All,

      Those who have been members of this Group for some time may recall that I
      started building the bigger version of Atkin's Tunnel Stern, "River Belle",
      some time back.

      By way of an update, after eighteen months the hull is now finished and we
      turned it "sunny side up" last week - it's quite a sight.....

      Mr William's design specified sawn frames and double diagonal planking of
      course, but we have used epoxy & marine ply on sacrificial station moulds
      and it has come out very well. We also made the sides curved for clinker
      planking (sorry John!) and that too, looks really good.

      I have attached a couple of photos for those interested and I have been
      maintaining a construction log at http://riverbelle.boman.biz as well if you
      want all the really gory details together with lots more photos.

      Now for the fitting out......

      Alan
      Adelaide, South Australia
    • Moose
      Message 3 of 13 , Mar 21, 2010
        Hi Alan
        Looks good needs more pic's. Who is that ugly guy at the back in the second picture.

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Boman" <alan@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Those who have been members of this Group for some time may recall that I
        > started building the bigger version of Atkin's Tunnel Stern, "River Belle",
        > some time back.
        >
        > By way of an update, after eighteen months the hull is now finished and we
        > turned it "sunny side up" last week - it's quite a sight.....
        >
        > Mr William's design specified sawn frames and double diagonal planking of
        > course, but we have used epoxy & marine ply on sacrificial station moulds
        > and it has come out very well. We also made the sides curved for clinker
        > planking (sorry John!) and that too, looks really good.
        >
        > I have attached a couple of photos for those interested and I have been
        > maintaining a construction log at http://riverbelle.boman.biz as well if you
        > want all the really gory details together with lots more photos.
        >
        > Now for the fitting out......
        >

        > Alan
        > Adelaide, South Australia

      • Alan Boman
        Message 4 of 13 , Apr 27, 2011

          Hi All,

          Those members of this Group with longer memories will recall that I started building Atkin’s "River Belle", some time back.

          Twelve months ago, with my last update, I was celebrating the turning of the hull with “just the fitting out to go”.  Ha!  Another twelve months on ( nearly 3 years altogether now) we are still fitting out!

          With no formal plan for the interior this has taken a long, long time.  However, most of the interior layout is now defined at least, if not completely built.  Having started at the stern, the stateroom floors and Queen sized bed frame are in place, which reinforces the tunnel stern. Some of the bathroom & toilet walls are up and the stairs up to the bridge deck / saloon are in.  The engine bearers, prop shaft tunnel and rudder trunk, are all in place too.  I have just started on the galley in the bow and will now work back to the bridge deck.

          Since the whole boat is made of plywood and epoxy, without any other fixings, it has been named “Rhapsody In Glue”.  If you’d like to read a detailed “blog” and see a library of photos, go to www.rhapsodyinglue.com.

          Alan