baby lou

  • clivemasters
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2004
      was so pleased to find other atkins lovers.thought i was the only
      one, armed with my book of atkins designs, dated just post the
      depression.Built 'baby lou' the beautiful 10' skiff for the first
      time about 18 years ago in plywood. she sailed like a dream of
      course.always loved his little comments like 'do not get the notion
      that any old curves can be given her bottom'
      .I also built 'perigee' as a 4' model boat which my son was
      once pushed out onto a pond in.
      The latest project is a 'baby lou' stretched to 12' in plywood of
      which pics can be sent to anyone interested.Sorry I have been poor
      all my life and that a chance encounter with a wonderful book at a
      trash and treasure sale changed my life and gave me a sailing
      boat.For some of us the depression went on longer than atkins
      thought it would!If I can help anyone in any way with with getting
      them sailing I would be only too pleased
      clive
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16, 2004
        Welcome aboard Clive! Sounds like you got your hands on volume 17 or 47 of
        the Ideal series. Baby Lou is a beautiful little skiff, but then the Atkins
        sureknew how to draw a flat-bottom skiff! <g> If you'd like to send me
        photos of your boats I'll see to it that they're posted here, or you can put
        them into the files (preferable) or photos section yourself.

        When you built Baby Lou did you have any trouble getting the plywood sides
        to fit? It may just be an optical illusion, but it looks like Baby Lou has a
        slight concavity in chine forward, in plan view, which plywood sheets might
        not like.

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Dinks/BabyLou.html

        On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 19:02:39 -0000, Clive wrote:
        > was so pleased to find other atkins lovers.thought i was the only
        > one, armed with my book of atkins designs, dated just post the
        > depression.Built 'baby lou' the beautiful 10' skiff for the first
        > time about 18 years ago in plywood. she sailed like a dream of
        > course.always loved his little comments like 'do not get the notion
        > that any old curves can be given her bottom'
        > .I also built 'perigee' as a 4' model boat which my son was
        > once pushed out onto a pond in.
        > The latest project is a 'baby lou' stretched to 12' in plywood of
        > which pics can be sent to anyone interested.Sorry I have been poor
        > all my life and that a chance encounter with a wonderful book at a
        > trash and treasure sale changed my life and gave me a sailing
        > boat.For some of us the depression went on longer than atkins
        > thought it would!If I can help anyone in any way with with getting
        > them sailing I would be only too pleased

        A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought.
        <Lord Peter Wimsey>