Re: Chronology of Tunnel Sterns

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 13, 2009
      Everhope plans say Design #421, dated Feb 1938

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <calfee20@...> wrote:

      > Everhope was in "MODERN MOTORBOAT DESIGNS AND PLANS" vol 8 copyright 1938.
      >
      > Rescue Minor was in "FORTY DESIGNS FOR POSTWAR BOATS" vol 20 copyright 1944.
      >
      > ....................Tom C

    • Alan Boman
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 13, 2009

        Thanks for that Andrew!

        Does anyone have a drafting date for “SHOALS RUNNER” ?

        Cheers

        Alan

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 14, 2009
          Shoals Runner is plan #786. #782 is dated May, 1954. #782 is dated May,
          1958.

          --
          John (jkohnen@...)
          No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 14, 2009
            Thanks John,

            That makes sense. In the description of 'Shoals Runner', Mr William says he
            has been "designing tunnel sterns for 35 years" and in the description of
            'River Belle' he says he has been "designing Tunnel Sterns for 21 years".
            This suggests that 'Shoals Runner' was designed 35-21=14 years after 'River
            Belle' which we know was 1943. That gives us a design date for 'Shoals
            Runner' of 1957, which fits nicely with the dates you gave us.

            It also makes it a fair bet that 'Shoals Runner' was designed for plywood
            construction - does anybody know that for sure ?

            Thanks again John

            Alan

            Shoals Runner is plan #786. #782 is dated May, 1954. #782 is dated May,
            1958.

            On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:28:37 -0800, Alan B wrote:

            > Does anyone have a drafting date for "SHOALS RUNNER" ?

            --
            John (jkohnen@...)
            No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
            society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we
            shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for
            stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. (P.J. O'Rourke)

            ------------------------------------

            <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 14, 2009
              Oops! I meant to say that #782 is dated May 1954 and #792 is dated May
              1958, so Shoals Runner, #786, is somewhere between... Shoals Runner uses
              1/4" plywood for its planking.

              On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 06:42:12 -0800, Alan B wrote:

              > Thanks John,
              >
              > That makes sense. In the description of 'Shoals Runner', Mr William
              > says he
              > has been "designing tunnel sterns for 35 years" and in the description of
              > 'River Belle' he says he has been "designing Tunnel Sterns for 21 years".
              > This suggests that 'Shoals Runner' was designed 35-21=14 years after
              > 'River
              > Belle' which we know was 1943. That gives us a design date for 'Shoals
              > Runner' of 1957, which fits nicely with the dates you gave us.
              >
              > It also makes it a fair bet that 'Shoals Runner' was designed for plywood
              > construction - does anybody know that for sure ?

              --
              John (jkohnen@...)
              Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your
              cat. (Craig O'Donnell)
            • Alan Boman
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 19, 2010
              Hi All,

              Those who have been members of this Group for some time may recall that I
              started building the bigger version of Atkin's Tunnel Stern, "River Belle",
              some time back.

              By way of an update, after eighteen months the hull is now finished and we
              turned it "sunny side up" last week - it's quite a sight.....

              Mr William's design specified sawn frames and double diagonal planking of
              course, but we have used epoxy & marine ply on sacrificial station moulds
              and it has come out very well. We also made the sides curved for clinker
              planking (sorry John!) and that too, looks really good.

              I have attached a couple of photos for those interested and I have been
              maintaining a construction log at http://riverbelle.boman.biz as well if you
              want all the really gory details together with lots more photos.

              Now for the fitting out......

              Alan
              Adelaide, South Australia
            • Moose
              Message 7 of 13 , Mar 21, 2010
                Hi Alan
                Looks good needs more pic's. Who is that ugly guy at the back in the second picture.

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Boman" <alan@...> wrote:

                > Hi All,
                >
                > Those who have been members of this Group for some time may recall that I
                > started building the bigger version of Atkin's Tunnel Stern, "River Belle",
                > some time back.
                >
                > By way of an update, after eighteen months the hull is now finished and we
                > turned it "sunny side up" last week - it's quite a sight.....
                >
                > Mr William's design specified sawn frames and double diagonal planking of
                > course, but we have used epoxy & marine ply on sacrificial station moulds
                > and it has come out very well. We also made the sides curved for clinker
                > planking (sorry John!) and that too, looks really good.
                >
                > I have attached a couple of photos for those interested and I have been
                > maintaining a construction log at http://riverbelle.boman.biz as well if you
                > want all the really gory details together with lots more photos.
                >
                > Now for the fitting out......
                >

                > Alan
                > Adelaide, South Australia

              • Alan Boman
                Message 8 of 13 , Apr 27, 2011

                  Hi All,

                  Those members of this Group with longer memories will recall that I started building Atkin’s "River Belle", some time back.

                  Twelve months ago, with my last update, I was celebrating the turning of the hull with “just the fitting out to go”.  Ha!  Another twelve months on ( nearly 3 years altogether now) we are still fitting out!

                  With no formal plan for the interior this has taken a long, long time.  However, most of the interior layout is now defined at least, if not completely built.  Having started at the stern, the stateroom floors and Queen sized bed frame are in place, which reinforces the tunnel stern. Some of the bathroom & toilet walls are up and the stairs up to the bridge deck / saloon are in.  The engine bearers, prop shaft tunnel and rudder trunk, are all in place too.  I have just started on the galley in the bow and will now work back to the bridge deck.

                  Since the whole boat is made of plywood and epoxy, without any other fixings, it has been named “Rhapsody In Glue”.  If you’d like to read a detailed “blog” and see a library of photos, go to www.rhapsodyinglue.com.

                  Alan