Unlikely Boat Builder: I am bitten

  • JohnA
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 11, 2009
      The other day, I realized I'd been bitten. Not by a dinosaur, but by something just as powerful and a lot more sneaky: the boat building bug.

      I was building the stongback for Cabin Boy -- a kind of ladder-frame structure that is used to erect the molds. Compared to lofting and building the molds, putting together the strongback was simple, even for me. Obviously I didn't say so at the time... no sense tempting fate.

      Nevertheless, while doing this pleasantly easy work, I had a few brainwaves left over and found myself day dreaming...

      Read complete blog post: I Am Bitten

      Enjoy: John

    • JohnA
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 17, 2009
        Man, The Tool Maker

        "There is nothing particularly difficult about sailing," my friend John V. mused as we drove across Peconic Bay last weekend into a cold, 20 knot breeze. "But there are an enormous number of simple skills to be mastered."

        At that particular moment, I was trying to master the skill of staying warm under the dodger, while John squinted into the wind like the Ancient Mariner, seemingly unaffected by the ferocious wind-chill factor...

        Read the complete blog post in which I (amazingly) build my first tool...

        Man, The Tool Maker

        Enjoy: John
      • JohnA
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 21, 2009
          Some call them woodworking 'tricks', but I call them micro inventions -- simple, non-obvious inventions that some wood worker discovered hundreds or maybe thousands of years ago -- that are passed down from worker to worker because they are so darn useful...

          Complete blog post: Micro Inventions