Re: Unlikely Boat Builder: The Essential Tools

  • j_fouser
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

      > Actually, I wish I could find an Atkin design that was:
      > - V-bottom
      > - about 30' long
      > - double-ended
      > - aft-hung rudder
      > - big bowsprit
      > - gaff rigged cutter
      >
      > That would be my ideal 'next boat'.
      >

      > -- John

      George Buehler has a few . but I'd have more faith in an Akin Design
    • John Almberg
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
        > > Actually, I wish I could find an Atkin design that was:
        > > - V-bottom
        > > - about 30' long
        > > - double-ended
        > > - aft-hung rudder
        > > - big bowsprit
        > > - gaff rigged cutter
        > >
        > > That would be my ideal 'next boat'.
        > >

        > > -- John
        > >

        > George Buehler has a few . but I'd have more faith in an Akin Design

        Huh... you must have read my mind. I like Juna, but would prefer an
        Atkin design.

        I guess I could bend on the double-ended requirement, but I really
        prefer an aft-hung rudder. I've got a friend who just spent 2 years
        trying to fix his rudder after slamming it down on a rock and bending
        the shaft. Quite a pain to fix. Plus, eventually I'd like to try to
        build a self-steering system, and a trim-tab on an aft-hung rudder seems
        to be the simplest system.

        -- John

        Check out my blog: http://unlikelyboatbuilder.com
      • JohnA
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 11, 2009
          The other day, I realized I'd been bitten. Not by a dinosaur, but by something just as powerful and a lot more sneaky: the boat building bug.

          I was building the stongback for Cabin Boy -- a kind of ladder-frame structure that is used to erect the molds. Compared to lofting and building the molds, putting together the strongback was simple, even for me. Obviously I didn't say so at the time... no sense tempting fate.

          Nevertheless, while doing this pleasantly easy work, I had a few brainwaves left over and found myself day dreaming...

          Read complete blog post: I Am Bitten

          Enjoy: John

        • JohnA
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 17, 2009
            Man, The Tool Maker

            "There is nothing particularly difficult about sailing," my friend John V. mused as we drove across Peconic Bay last weekend into a cold, 20 knot breeze. "But there are an enormous number of simple skills to be mastered."

            At that particular moment, I was trying to master the skill of staying warm under the dodger, while John squinted into the wind like the Ancient Mariner, seemingly unaffected by the ferocious wind-chill factor...

            Read the complete blog post in which I (amazingly) build my first tool...

            Man, The Tool Maker

            Enjoy: John
          • JohnA
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 21, 2009
              Some call them woodworking 'tricks', but I call them micro inventions -- simple, non-obvious inventions that some wood worker discovered hundreds or maybe thousands of years ago -- that are passed down from worker to worker because they are so darn useful...

              Complete blog post: Micro Inventions