Re: Unlikely Boat Builder: The Essential Tools

  • JohnA
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
      > I've really been enjoying your Blog, John. I hope when you finish the
      > Cabin Boy you'll keep building Atkin boats. <g>

      I'm already thinking about the next one... Haven't decided to do the sensible thing and build a flat-bottom boat, like Shore Liner or Great Bear, or a V-bottom like Little Maid of Kent.

      Actually, I wish I could find an Atkin design that was:
      - V-bottom
      - about 30' long
      - double-ended
      - aft-hung rudder
      - big bowsprit
      - gaff rigged cutter

      That would be my ideal 'next boat'.

      > Have you seen Clem Kuhlig's book on building Cabin Boy? He really went
      > overboard trying to make the fanciest little skiff ever made -- and taking
      > the longest time to build one. <g> Not surprisingly, his next boat was a
      > Pocahontas, about the shippiest 12-footer ever designed... An interesting
      > book anyway...

      I have it, along with all the other 'standard' boat building books. It's one of the reasons I chose Cabin Boy, but as I go along, I'm getting the idea that Clem liked to do things the hard way :-)

      I'm thinking more 'work boat' finish for mine... will probably finish the inside planking with linseed oil (I like that look), and I'm already prowling the woods, looking for a pine/spruce/fir tree that is just about the right size for the mast. I have a few candidates already... just waiting for winter to get the sap out, then it's for the chop :-)

      -- John
    • JohnA
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
        > Not surprisingly, his next boat was a
        > Pocahontas, about the shippiest 12-footer ever designed...

        Wow... I never noticed Pocahontas before. That is a really nice little boat and perfect for the kind of 'dingy cruising' that seems to be getting popular.

        -- John
      • j_fouser
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

          > Actually, I wish I could find an Atkin design that was:
          > - V-bottom
          > - about 30' long
          > - double-ended
          > - aft-hung rudder
          > - big bowsprit
          > - gaff rigged cutter
          >
          > That would be my ideal 'next boat'.
          >

          > -- John

          George Buehler has a few . but I'd have more faith in an Akin Design
        • John Almberg
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
            > > Actually, I wish I could find an Atkin design that was:
            > > - V-bottom
            > > - about 30' long
            > > - double-ended
            > > - aft-hung rudder
            > > - big bowsprit
            > > - gaff rigged cutter
            > >
            > > That would be my ideal 'next boat'.
            > >

            > > -- John
            > >

            > George Buehler has a few . but I'd have more faith in an Akin Design

            Huh... you must have read my mind. I like Juna, but would prefer an
            Atkin design.

            I guess I could bend on the double-ended requirement, but I really
            prefer an aft-hung rudder. I've got a friend who just spent 2 years
            trying to fix his rudder after slamming it down on a rock and bending
            the shaft. Quite a pain to fix. Plus, eventually I'd like to try to
            build a self-steering system, and a trim-tab on an aft-hung rudder seems
            to be the simplest system.

            -- John

            Check out my blog: http://unlikelyboatbuilder.com
          • JohnA
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 11, 2009
              The other day, I realized I'd been bitten. Not by a dinosaur, but by something just as powerful and a lot more sneaky: the boat building bug.

              I was building the stongback for Cabin Boy -- a kind of ladder-frame structure that is used to erect the molds. Compared to lofting and building the molds, putting together the strongback was simple, even for me. Obviously I didn't say so at the time... no sense tempting fate.

              Nevertheless, while doing this pleasantly easy work, I had a few brainwaves left over and found myself day dreaming...

              Read complete blog post: I Am Bitten

              Enjoy: John

            • JohnA
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 17, 2009
                Man, The Tool Maker

                "There is nothing particularly difficult about sailing," my friend John V. mused as we drove across Peconic Bay last weekend into a cold, 20 knot breeze. "But there are an enormous number of simple skills to be mastered."

                At that particular moment, I was trying to master the skill of staying warm under the dodger, while John squinted into the wind like the Ancient Mariner, seemingly unaffected by the ferocious wind-chill factor...

                Read the complete blog post in which I (amazingly) build my first tool...

                Man, The Tool Maker

                Enjoy: John
              • JohnA
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 21, 2009
                  Some call them woodworking 'tricks', but I call them micro inventions -- simple, non-obvious inventions that some wood worker discovered hundreds or maybe thousands of years ago -- that are passed down from worker to worker because they are so darn useful...

                  Complete blog post: Micro Inventions