Re: [AtkinBoats] Unlikely Boat Builder: The Essential Tools

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2009
      I've really been enjoying your Blog, John. I hope when you finish the
      Cabin Boy you'll keep building Atkin boats. <g>

      Have you seen Clem Kuhlig's book on building Cabin Boy? He really went
      overboard trying to make the fanciest little skiff ever made -- and taking
      the longest time to build one. <g> Not surprisingly, his next boat was a
      Pocahontas, about the shippiest 12-footer ever designed... An interesting
      book anyway...

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0877420645/themotherofal-20

      On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 07:34:21 -0800, John A wrote:

      > For about 54 years, I was an unhandy guy. There was nothing I could do
      > about it, it wasn't my fault, it was just the way my genes were wired.
      >
      > So, while Helena could spend a pleasant afternoon refinishing our 100
      > year old iron windows -- scraping away rust, cutting glass to replace
      > broken panes, and carefully puttying them in place -- my jobs were
      > exercises in frustrating futility.
      >
      > Read complete blog post:
      >
      > http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/11/key-boatbuilding-skill.html

      The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you
      can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying
      virtues. <Elizabeth Taylor>
    • JohnA
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
        > I've really been enjoying your Blog, John. I hope when you finish the
        > Cabin Boy you'll keep building Atkin boats. <g>

        I'm already thinking about the next one... Haven't decided to do the sensible thing and build a flat-bottom boat, like Shore Liner or Great Bear, or a V-bottom like Little Maid of Kent.

        Actually, I wish I could find an Atkin design that was:
        - V-bottom
        - about 30' long
        - double-ended
        - aft-hung rudder
        - big bowsprit
        - gaff rigged cutter

        That would be my ideal 'next boat'.

        > Have you seen Clem Kuhlig's book on building Cabin Boy? He really went
        > overboard trying to make the fanciest little skiff ever made -- and taking
        > the longest time to build one. <g> Not surprisingly, his next boat was a
        > Pocahontas, about the shippiest 12-footer ever designed... An interesting
        > book anyway...

        I have it, along with all the other 'standard' boat building books. It's one of the reasons I chose Cabin Boy, but as I go along, I'm getting the idea that Clem liked to do things the hard way :-)

        I'm thinking more 'work boat' finish for mine... will probably finish the inside planking with linseed oil (I like that look), and I'm already prowling the woods, looking for a pine/spruce/fir tree that is just about the right size for the mast. I have a few candidates already... just waiting for winter to get the sap out, then it's for the chop :-)

        -- John
      • JohnA
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
          > Not surprisingly, his next boat was a
          > Pocahontas, about the shippiest 12-footer ever designed...

          Wow... I never noticed Pocahontas before. That is a really nice little boat and perfect for the kind of 'dingy cruising' that seems to be getting popular.

          -- John
        • j_fouser
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

            > Actually, I wish I could find an Atkin design that was:
            > - V-bottom
            > - about 30' long
            > - double-ended
            > - aft-hung rudder
            > - big bowsprit
            > - gaff rigged cutter
            >
            > That would be my ideal 'next boat'.
            >

            > -- John

            George Buehler has a few . but I'd have more faith in an Akin Design
          • John Almberg
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
              > > Actually, I wish I could find an Atkin design that was:
              > > - V-bottom
              > > - about 30' long
              > > - double-ended
              > > - aft-hung rudder
              > > - big bowsprit
              > > - gaff rigged cutter
              > >
              > > That would be my ideal 'next boat'.
              > >

              > > -- John
              > >

              > George Buehler has a few . but I'd have more faith in an Akin Design

              Huh... you must have read my mind. I like Juna, but would prefer an
              Atkin design.

              I guess I could bend on the double-ended requirement, but I really
              prefer an aft-hung rudder. I've got a friend who just spent 2 years
              trying to fix his rudder after slamming it down on a rock and bending
              the shaft. Quite a pain to fix. Plus, eventually I'd like to try to
              build a self-steering system, and a trim-tab on an aft-hung rudder seems
              to be the simplest system.

              -- John

              Check out my blog: http://unlikelyboatbuilder.com
            • JohnA
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 11, 2009
                The other day, I realized I'd been bitten. Not by a dinosaur, but by something just as powerful and a lot more sneaky: the boat building bug.

                I was building the stongback for Cabin Boy -- a kind of ladder-frame structure that is used to erect the molds. Compared to lofting and building the molds, putting together the strongback was simple, even for me. Obviously I didn't say so at the time... no sense tempting fate.

                Nevertheless, while doing this pleasantly easy work, I had a few brainwaves left over and found myself day dreaming...

                Read complete blog post: I Am Bitten

                Enjoy: John

              • JohnA
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 17, 2009
                  Man, The Tool Maker

                  "There is nothing particularly difficult about sailing," my friend John V. mused as we drove across Peconic Bay last weekend into a cold, 20 knot breeze. "But there are an enormous number of simple skills to be mastered."

                  At that particular moment, I was trying to master the skill of staying warm under the dodger, while John squinted into the wind like the Ancient Mariner, seemingly unaffected by the ferocious wind-chill factor...

                  Read the complete blog post in which I (amazingly) build my first tool...

                  Man, The Tool Maker

                  Enjoy: John
                • JohnA
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 21, 2009
                    Some call them woodworking 'tricks', but I call them micro inventions -- simple, non-obvious inventions that some wood worker discovered hundreds or maybe thousands of years ago -- that are passed down from worker to worker because they are so darn useful...

                    Complete blog post: Micro Inventions