Unlikely Boat Builder: The Essential Tools

  • JohnA
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2009
      For about 54 years, I was an unhandy guy. There was nothing I could do about it, it wasn't my fault, it was just the way my genes were wired.

      So, while Helena could spend a pleasant afternoon refinishing our 100 year old iron windows -- scraping away rust, cutting glass to replace broken panes, and carefully puttying them in place -- my jobs were exercises in frustrating futility.

      Read complete blog post:

      http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/11/key-boatbuilding-skill.html
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2009
        I've really been enjoying your Blog, John. I hope when you finish the
        Cabin Boy you'll keep building Atkin boats. <g>

        Have you seen Clem Kuhlig's book on building Cabin Boy? He really went
        overboard trying to make the fanciest little skiff ever made -- and taking
        the longest time to build one. <g> Not surprisingly, his next boat was a
        Pocahontas, about the shippiest 12-footer ever designed... An interesting
        book anyway...

        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0877420645/themotherofal-20

        On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 07:34:21 -0800, John A wrote:

        > For about 54 years, I was an unhandy guy. There was nothing I could do
        > about it, it wasn't my fault, it was just the way my genes were wired.
        >
        > So, while Helena could spend a pleasant afternoon refinishing our 100
        > year old iron windows -- scraping away rust, cutting glass to replace
        > broken panes, and carefully puttying them in place -- my jobs were
        > exercises in frustrating futility.
        >
        > Read complete blog post:
        >
        > http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/11/key-boatbuilding-skill.html

        The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you
        can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying
        virtues. <Elizabeth Taylor>
      • JohnA
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
          > I've really been enjoying your Blog, John. I hope when you finish the
          > Cabin Boy you'll keep building Atkin boats. <g>

          I'm already thinking about the next one... Haven't decided to do the sensible thing and build a flat-bottom boat, like Shore Liner or Great Bear, or a V-bottom like Little Maid of Kent.

          Actually, I wish I could find an Atkin design that was:
          - V-bottom
          - about 30' long
          - double-ended
          - aft-hung rudder
          - big bowsprit
          - gaff rigged cutter

          That would be my ideal 'next boat'.

          > Have you seen Clem Kuhlig's book on building Cabin Boy? He really went
          > overboard trying to make the fanciest little skiff ever made -- and taking
          > the longest time to build one. <g> Not surprisingly, his next boat was a
          > Pocahontas, about the shippiest 12-footer ever designed... An interesting
          > book anyway...

          I have it, along with all the other 'standard' boat building books. It's one of the reasons I chose Cabin Boy, but as I go along, I'm getting the idea that Clem liked to do things the hard way :-)

          I'm thinking more 'work boat' finish for mine... will probably finish the inside planking with linseed oil (I like that look), and I'm already prowling the woods, looking for a pine/spruce/fir tree that is just about the right size for the mast. I have a few candidates already... just waiting for winter to get the sap out, then it's for the chop :-)

          -- John
        • JohnA
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
            > Not surprisingly, his next boat was a
            > Pocahontas, about the shippiest 12-footer ever designed...

            Wow... I never noticed Pocahontas before. That is a really nice little boat and perfect for the kind of 'dingy cruising' that seems to be getting popular.

            -- John
          • j_fouser
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

              > Actually, I wish I could find an Atkin design that was:
              > - V-bottom
              > - about 30' long
              > - double-ended
              > - aft-hung rudder
              > - big bowsprit
              > - gaff rigged cutter
              >
              > That would be my ideal 'next boat'.
              >

              > -- John

              George Buehler has a few . but I'd have more faith in an Akin Design
            • John Almberg
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
                > > Actually, I wish I could find an Atkin design that was:
                > > - V-bottom
                > > - about 30' long
                > > - double-ended
                > > - aft-hung rudder
                > > - big bowsprit
                > > - gaff rigged cutter
                > >
                > > That would be my ideal 'next boat'.
                > >

                > > -- John
                > >

                > George Buehler has a few . but I'd have more faith in an Akin Design

                Huh... you must have read my mind. I like Juna, but would prefer an
                Atkin design.

                I guess I could bend on the double-ended requirement, but I really
                prefer an aft-hung rudder. I've got a friend who just spent 2 years
                trying to fix his rudder after slamming it down on a rock and bending
                the shaft. Quite a pain to fix. Plus, eventually I'd like to try to
                build a self-steering system, and a trim-tab on an aft-hung rudder seems
                to be the simplest system.

                -- John

                Check out my blog: http://unlikelyboatbuilder.com
              • JohnA
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 11, 2009
                  The other day, I realized I'd been bitten. Not by a dinosaur, but by something just as powerful and a lot more sneaky: the boat building bug.

                  I was building the stongback for Cabin Boy -- a kind of ladder-frame structure that is used to erect the molds. Compared to lofting and building the molds, putting together the strongback was simple, even for me. Obviously I didn't say so at the time... no sense tempting fate.

                  Nevertheless, while doing this pleasantly easy work, I had a few brainwaves left over and found myself day dreaming...

                  Read complete blog post: I Am Bitten

                  Enjoy: John

                • JohnA
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 17, 2009
                    Man, The Tool Maker

                    "There is nothing particularly difficult about sailing," my friend John V. mused as we drove across Peconic Bay last weekend into a cold, 20 knot breeze. "But there are an enormous number of simple skills to be mastered."

                    At that particular moment, I was trying to master the skill of staying warm under the dodger, while John squinted into the wind like the Ancient Mariner, seemingly unaffected by the ferocious wind-chill factor...

                    Read the complete blog post in which I (amazingly) build my first tool...

                    Man, The Tool Maker

                    Enjoy: John
                  • JohnA
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 21, 2009
                      Some call them woodworking 'tricks', but I call them micro inventions -- simple, non-obvious inventions that some wood worker discovered hundreds or maybe thousands of years ago -- that are passed down from worker to worker because they are so darn useful...

                      Complete blog post: Micro Inventions