Choosing a fishing hull design based on an engine

  • thehomecrafter
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2009
      I have found 13hp Yanmar industrial engine at an online surplus supplier for what I believe to be an unbeatable price: $779.95, + shipping etc. Here's the link (copy and paste) -
      https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009090719235340&item=28-1684&catname=engines

      This fixed-speed engine comes without alternator or cooling, but I believe the parts can be found to make it work in a marine application.

      Using this engine as the starting point, I'd like recommendations for a hull design for the following use:
      Fishing 2-4 people in most sane sea conditions (3-5' chop, larger rollers, rain wind, etc.)

      I'd like the boat to accommodate the following features:
      A wheelhouse (low would be ok), stowage for about 200lbs of fishing gear and supplies, 2-300lbs of additional gear (batteries, anchors, etc.)

      6-8 knots would be fine.

      Is this too much to ask of this engine?