Re: Sallie Hyde - which set of lines for this engine?

  • titanicslim
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2009
      Hi

      This size and type of engine will work well for lower speeds in Sallie Hyde.   What will you use for a transmission?  You have noticed this is an industrial motor, right?

      There are various types of linkages that people have used to avoid the high cost of a marine engine w/transmission, but you'd better have this thoroughly  thought-out or it will be a constant pain in the what is this.

      Dave

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "thehomecrafter" <thehomecrafter@...> wrote:

      > The Sallie Hyde plans come with two sets of lines; one for speeds of up to 10 mph, and one for up to 16 mph.
      > I'm considering this engine for a displacement/semi-displacement fishing boat in the 20'range (copy and paste): https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009090719235340&item=28-1684&catname=engines
      >
      > My 2 questions are:
      > Is this enough engine for the Sallie Hyde?
      > If so, does anyone know which set of lines would be the better choice for this engine?

    • thehomecrafter
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2009
        I realize that this engine will need components - alternator, bell housing, transmission, cooling....
        It may be better to ask a different question with a new thread title.
        "Choosing a fishing boat design based on an engine"
        Thanks for the reply - please see new thread!

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009
          That engine should push the original (not high-speed lines) Sallie Hyde
          along fine, though I'm suspicious about these new-fangled high-speed
          engines' abilty to pull their weight as well as their heftier, slower
          turning ancestors.

          On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 13:36:30 -0700, thehomecrafter wrote:

          > The Sallie Hyde plans come with two sets of lines; one for speeds of up
          > to 10 mph, and one for up to 16 mph.
          > I'm considering this engine for a displacement/semi-displacement fishing
          > boat in the 20'range (copy and paste):
          > https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009090719235340&item=28-1684&catname=engines
          >
          > My 2 questions are:
          > Is this enough engine for the Sallie Hyde?
          > If so, does anyone know which set of lines would be the better choice
          > for this engine?

          I must say I find television very educational. The minute
          somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.
          <Groucho Marx>