Sallie Hyde - which set of lines for this engine?

  • thehomecrafter
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2009
      The Sallie Hyde plans come with two sets of lines; one for speeds of up to 10 mph, and one for up to 16 mph.
      I'm considering this engine for a displacement/semi-displacement fishing boat in the 20'range (copy and paste): https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009090719235340&item=28-1684&catname=engines

      My 2 questions are:
      Is this enough engine for the Sallie Hyde?
      If so, does anyone know which set of lines would be the better choice for this engine?
    • titanicslim
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2009
        Hi

        This size and type of engine will work well for lower speeds in Sallie Hyde.   What will you use for a transmission?  You have noticed this is an industrial motor, right?

        There are various types of linkages that people have used to avoid the high cost of a marine engine w/transmission, but you'd better have this thoroughly  thought-out or it will be a constant pain in the what is this.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2009
          I realize that this engine will need components - alternator, bell housing, transmission, cooling....
          It may be better to ask a different question with a new thread title.
          "Choosing a fishing boat design based on an engine"
          Thanks for the reply - please see new thread!

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009
            That engine should push the original (not high-speed lines) Sallie Hyde
            along fine, though I'm suspicious about these new-fangled high-speed
            engines' abilty to pull their weight as well as their heftier, slower
            turning ancestors.

            On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 13:36:30 -0700, thehomecrafter wrote:

            > The Sallie Hyde plans come with two sets of lines; one for speeds of up
            > to 10 mph, and one for up to 16 mph.
            > I'm considering this engine for a displacement/semi-displacement fishing
            > boat in the 20'range (copy and paste):
            > https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009090719235340&item=28-1684&catname=engines
            >
            > My 2 questions are:
            > Is this enough engine for the Sallie Hyde?
            > If so, does anyone know which set of lines would be the better choice
            > for this engine?

            I must say I find television very educational. The minute
            somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.
            <Groucho Marx>