Chronology of Tunnel Sterns

  • Alan Boman
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 20, 2009

      Hi All

      I am building a “River Belle” and I’m keen to establish the order in which Mr William produced his various Tunnel Stern designs.

      The table below is my attempt to document the chronology of this design group and I would welcome any comments that would help correct and/or complete it. I have taken the information from various sources and it is sometimes contradictory, so we’ll end up with “best guesses” I expect.

      I’ll post it into the Public Domain via Yahoo Groups when it is finished.

      Can you help?

      Thanks

      Alan

      NAME

      YEAR

      LENGTH

      SPEED (mph)

      H.P.

      Mischief

      1922

      23

      23

      30

      Jennie

      26

      11

      20

      Galilee

      23

      Grampus Jr.

      1930

      17

      17

      25

      Heron

      17

      Nanuk III

      1934

      28½

      12½

      35

      Islamorada

      1935

      36

      18

      115

      Rescue Minor

      19

      17½

      25

      River Belle

      1942

      38

      15

      80

      A landing craft

      48

      19

      300

      Chronology uncertain:

      ·       Nibble

      17

      18½

      35

      ·       Little Water

      24

      226cu

      ·       Everhope

      20

      21

      45

      Alan Boman

      È 0408 014 234

      ( 08 8278 4109

      * PO Box 84, BELAIR, SA, 5052

    • Ralph
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 21, 2009
        Shoals Runner is missing from the list.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 21, 2009

          Of course !  Duh ! Thanks Ralph

          Perhaps “Huckleberry Finn” should be on the list too ?

          Alan

          > I am building a "River Belle" and I'm keen to establish the
          order in which
          > Mr William produced his various Tunnel Stern designs.
          >

          > The table below is my attempt to document the chronology of this design
          > group and I would welcome any comments that would help correct and/or
          > complete it. I have taken the information from various sources and it is
          > sometimes contradictory, so we'll end up with "best guesses" I
          expect.

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 21, 2009
            Everhope was in "MODERN MOTORBOAT DESIGNS AND PLANS" vol 8 copyright 1938.

            Rescue Minor was in "FORTY DESIGNS FOR POSTWAR BOATS" vol 20 copyright 1944.

            ....................Tom C
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 5, 2009
              It's apparent from his published writings that what Wm. Atkin thought was
              his great innovation of the type was the _V-bottom_ Seabright skiff. He
              didn't consider tunnel-sterns anything all that special, just a variation
              of the basic idea. Indeed, other people had designed and built
              tunnel-stern traditional, round-bilge Seabright skiffs, likely before Wm.
              started doing so. Wm. may have done the tunnel-sterns better than the
              other designers, but it was the V-bottom that he was most proud of. So,
              when he writes in an article about a tunnel-stern, V-bottom Seabright
              skiff that Mischief was the first of the type, I'm pretty sure he meant
              she was the first V-bottom Seabright skiff, and she may, or may not, have
              had a tunnel stern. Reinforcing my opinion on this is Galilee, mentioned
              in a list of ancestors to one of the tunnel-stern, V-bottom Seabright
              skiffs (River Belle?). At first I thought that there might be two
              Galilees, the one mentioned in the list and the Galilee whose plans were
              published in MoTor BoatinG, it wouldn't be the only time the Atkins
              recycled names, but the MB Galilee fits into the list too well. That
              Galilee, design #230, is a 24' x 4' 6" double-ended, V-bottom Seabright
              skiff runabout with _no_ tunnel.

              On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 22:00:04 -0700, Alan B wrote:

              > I am building a “River Belle” and I’m keen to establish the order in
              > which
              > Mr William produced his various Tunnel Stern designs.
              >

              > The table below is my attempt to document the chronology of this design
              > group and I would welcome any comments that would help correct and/or
              > complete it. I have taken the information from various sources and it is
              > sometimes contradictory, so we’ll end up with “best guesses” I expect.
              >

              > I’ll post it into the Public Domain via Yahoo Groups when it is finished.
              > Mischief
              > Jennie
              > Galilee
              > Grampus Jr.
              > Heron
              > Nanuk III
              > Islamorada
              > Rescue Minor
              > River Belle
              > A landing craft
              > Nibble
              > Little Water
              > Everhope

              In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be
              thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican.
              <H. L. Mencken>
            • Andrew
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 13, 2009
                Everhope plans say Design #421, dated Feb 1938

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <calfee20@...> wrote:

                > Everhope was in "MODERN MOTORBOAT DESIGNS AND PLANS" vol 8 copyright 1938.
                >
                > Rescue Minor was in "FORTY DESIGNS FOR POSTWAR BOATS" vol 20 copyright 1944.
                >
                > ....................Tom C

              • Alan Boman
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 13, 2009

                  Thanks for that Andrew!

                  Does anyone have a drafting date for “SHOALS RUNNER” ?

                  Cheers

                  Alan

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 14, 2009
                    Shoals Runner is plan #786. #782 is dated May, 1954. #782 is dated May,
                    1958.

                    --
                    John (jkohnen@...)
                    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 14, 2009
                      Thanks John,

                      That makes sense. In the description of 'Shoals Runner', Mr William says he
                      has been "designing tunnel sterns for 35 years" and in the description of
                      'River Belle' he says he has been "designing Tunnel Sterns for 21 years".
                      This suggests that 'Shoals Runner' was designed 35-21=14 years after 'River
                      Belle' which we know was 1943. That gives us a design date for 'Shoals
                      Runner' of 1957, which fits nicely with the dates you gave us.

                      It also makes it a fair bet that 'Shoals Runner' was designed for plywood
                      construction - does anybody know that for sure ?

                      Thanks again John

                      Alan

                      Shoals Runner is plan #786. #782 is dated May, 1954. #782 is dated May,
                      1958.

                      On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:28:37 -0800, Alan B wrote:

                      > Does anyone have a drafting date for "SHOALS RUNNER" ?

                      --
                      John (jkohnen@...)
                      No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
                      society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we
                      shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for
                      stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. (P.J. O'Rourke)

                      ------------------------------------

                      <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 14, 2009
                        Oops! I meant to say that #782 is dated May 1954 and #792 is dated May
                        1958, so Shoals Runner, #786, is somewhere between... Shoals Runner uses
                        1/4" plywood for its planking.

                        On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 06:42:12 -0800, Alan B wrote:

                        > Thanks John,
                        >
                        > That makes sense. In the description of 'Shoals Runner', Mr William
                        > says he
                        > has been "designing tunnel sterns for 35 years" and in the description of
                        > 'River Belle' he says he has been "designing Tunnel Sterns for 21 years".
                        > This suggests that 'Shoals Runner' was designed 35-21=14 years after
                        > 'River
                        > Belle' which we know was 1943. That gives us a design date for 'Shoals
                        > Runner' of 1957, which fits nicely with the dates you gave us.
                        >
                        > It also makes it a fair bet that 'Shoals Runner' was designed for plywood
                        > construction - does anybody know that for sure ?

                        --
                        John (jkohnen@...)
                        Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your
                        cat. (Craig O'Donnell)
                      • Alan Boman
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 19, 2010
                        Hi All,

                        Those who have been members of this Group for some time may recall that I
                        started building the bigger version of Atkin's Tunnel Stern, "River Belle",
                        some time back.

                        By way of an update, after eighteen months the hull is now finished and we
                        turned it "sunny side up" last week - it's quite a sight.....

                        Mr William's design specified sawn frames and double diagonal planking of
                        course, but we have used epoxy & marine ply on sacrificial station moulds
                        and it has come out very well. We also made the sides curved for clinker
                        planking (sorry John!) and that too, looks really good.

                        I have attached a couple of photos for those interested and I have been
                        maintaining a construction log at http://riverbelle.boman.biz as well if you
                        want all the really gory details together with lots more photos.

                        Now for the fitting out......

                        Alan
                        Adelaide, South Australia
                      • Moose
                        Message 12 of 13 , Mar 21, 2010
                          Hi Alan
                          Looks good needs more pic's. Who is that ugly guy at the back in the second picture.

                          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Boman" <alan@...> wrote:

                          > Hi All,
                          >
                          > Those who have been members of this Group for some time may recall that I
                          > started building the bigger version of Atkin's Tunnel Stern, "River Belle",
                          > some time back.
                          >
                          > By way of an update, after eighteen months the hull is now finished and we
                          > turned it "sunny side up" last week - it's quite a sight.....
                          >
                          > Mr William's design specified sawn frames and double diagonal planking of
                          > course, but we have used epoxy & marine ply on sacrificial station moulds
                          > and it has come out very well. We also made the sides curved for clinker
                          > planking (sorry John!) and that too, looks really good.
                          >
                          > I have attached a couple of photos for those interested and I have been
                          > maintaining a construction log at http://riverbelle.boman.biz as well if you
                          > want all the really gory details together with lots more photos.
                          >
                          > Now for the fitting out......
                          >

                          > Alan
                          > Adelaide, South Australia

                        • Alan Boman
                          Message 13 of 13 , Apr 27, 2011

                            Hi All,

                            Those members of this Group with longer memories will recall that I started building Atkin’s "River Belle", some time back.

                            Twelve months ago, with my last update, I was celebrating the turning of the hull with “just the fitting out to go”.  Ha!  Another twelve months on ( nearly 3 years altogether now) we are still fitting out!

                            With no formal plan for the interior this has taken a long, long time.  However, most of the interior layout is now defined at least, if not completely built.  Having started at the stern, the stateroom floors and Queen sized bed frame are in place, which reinforces the tunnel stern. Some of the bathroom & toilet walls are up and the stairs up to the bridge deck / saloon are in.  The engine bearers, prop shaft tunnel and rudder trunk, are all in place too.  I have just started on the galley in the bow and will now work back to the bridge deck.

                            Since the whole boat is made of plywood and epoxy, without any other fixings, it has been named “Rhapsody In Glue”.  If you’d like to read a detailed “blog” and see a library of photos, go to www.rhapsodyinglue.com.

                            Alan