Eric Junior?

  • russ
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 20, 2009
      I have been trying to identify my boat Garnet for a long time. Finally someone has suggested that she may be an expanded Eric junior being 28' on deck by 8' 1" beam.

      Built in Dunedin New Zealand and launched in 1954, she is of the correct period.

      Are there any other Eric Juniors about?

      Photos on http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/88201417

      All thoughts welcomed.
    • George C
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 20, 2009
        Here's a few  photos of one being sold on Craigslist in the Seattle, WA USA area.

        http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/1422372242.html

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 2009
          Hi, Russ

          Your Garnet could, I suppose, be based on the Eric Jr. design although I think it's rather the long way around the thing.   The only other possibility within my knowledge of Atkin designs is Inga.  I can't tell much about Garnet's keel from the photos but Inga's actually a little shallower than Eric Jr's.  Then I suppose there is the distinct possibility that she's a home-grown Kiwi design. :-?

          And George- Thanks much for bringing the boat on Craig's List to my attention.  Let me know if I can ever do you a favor!

          Dave

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009
            Between them, the Atkins designed around 900 boats. Only a fraction of all
            those designs are in the current Atkin catalog. Garnet may very well not
            be one of them.

            On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 09:50:24 -0700, Dave wrote:

            > Your Garnet could, I suppose, be based on the Eric Jr. design although I
            > think it's rather the long way around the thing. The only other
            > possibility within my knowledge of Atkin designs is Inga. I can't tell
            > much about Garnet's keel from the photos but Inga's actually a little
            > shallower than Eric Jr's. Then I suppose there is the distinct
            > possibility that she's a home-grown Kiwi design. [:-?]

            When I reflect upon the number of disagreeable people who I know
            have gone to a better world, I am moved to lead a different
            life. <Mark Twain>