Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Building a 'Cabin Boy'

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009
    THE easy way to "erect" a perpendicular station line is with a compass.
    Make a simple beam compass out of a piece of 1-by about a yard long by
    driving a small nail through one end and then drilling two holes to fit a
    pencil or pen snuggly, one hole about 18" from the nail, and the other
    about 36" from it (measurements not critical at all). For best accuracy
    you should use a mechanical pencil or a ballpoint pen, so the writing part
    will be centered in the holes in the beam.

    Mark the horizontal position of the station on the baseline. Put the
    pencil in the hole closest to the nail and strike an arc from the station
    point through the baseline on each side of the station. Move the pencil to
    the farther hole and strike an arc from the intersection of each of the
    first arcs with the baseline, above the station point. A line drawn
    through the intersection of the arcs and the position point on the
    baseline will be perfectly perpendicular to the baseline. Additional
    station lines can be erected by measuring from both ends of the original,
    but be careful to keep the rule parallel to the baseline.

    See the attachment.

    On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:08:51 -0700, John A wrote:

    > In the latest installment of my blog, my first attempt at lofting is a
    > total failure...
    >
    > http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/10/i-discover-use-for-trigonometry.html

    I care not for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the
    better for it. <Abraham Lincoln>
  • JohnA
    Message 2 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009

      > THE easy way to "erect" a perpendicular station line is with a compass.

      NOW you tell me! :-)

      My second attempt at lofting was a success, thanks to a home-made beam compass...

      http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/10/lofting-take-2.html

      -- John
    • JohnA
      Message 3 of 15 , Oct 21, 2009
        Now that I've sort of got the hang of my lofting techniques, lofting Cabin Boy's body plan was pretty easy:

        New Blog Post:

        http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/10/building-bones.html

        -- John
      • JohnA
        Message 4 of 15 , Oct 27, 2009
          I'm super excited about this week's garage sale find. And I have a cautionary tale about being 'too careful' (i.e. cheap) with money.

          A couple weeks ago, I went to visit Roger, a very experienced boat builder in my area. I don't know what he thought of me, since I don't remember doing anything more intelligent than walking around his amazing shop with my mouth open, uttering the word 'Wow' every so often, but I learned a lot from him.

          Among the other secrets he let me in on was the fact that you could find great old tools at garage sales for less money than you'd spend buying new tools of inferior quality...

          See complete blog post:

          http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/10/i-score-some-blades.html

          -- John