Re: Building a 'Cabin Boy'

  • JohnA
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 9, 2009
      > I too have plans for and plan to build the cabin boy. I noticed your posts on WB forum. i have lofted the boat, but have not gone any further with it at this time. I plan on going a bit less traditional in the build, and will be using ply for planking and the bottom. It will be fun to track your progress and see the boat progress along.

      Well it's fun to do. I'm really enjoying it.

      I think I've just tracked down some oak for the stem and keelson, so hopefully I'll be laying down the backbone this time next week.
    • JohnA
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 12, 2009
        In the latest installment of my blog, my first attempt at lofting is a total failure...

        http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/10/i-discover-use-for-trigonometry.html

        -- John
      • DirtSailor
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 12, 2009
          John,

          Why not build a square out of wood? Anytime I need a large square for what ever reason, that is what I do. I find my straightest stock and make what I need. A t-square using the same thickness of ply that your lofting on is nice.  Another method is to use the 3-4-5 rule to get square. 3 units one way, 4 units perpendicular to that, 5 units across the diagonal. (I use this as a check even when I use a square, just in case the square is out). Then of course you can pull diagonals of the rectangle, but if the lines are equally skewed, then that doesn't help... Just out of curiosity why are you lofting on the wall? Are you going to pull it down prior to patterning the frames? I like to lay my frame stock right on the lofting "floor" to mark them out.

          Dirtsailor

          In the latest installment of my blog, my first attempt at lofting is a total failure...

          http://www.unlikely boatbuilder. com/2009/ 10/i-discover- use-for-trigonom etry.html

          -- John

        • Jon n Wanda
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 12, 2009
            And now you know why I put a plywood floor down and painted it a light color when I built my shop. The great thing is I can tack nails into it to string lines or hook a tape.

            Jon

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, DirtSailor <dirtsailor2003@...> wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > Why not build a square out of wood? Anytime I need a large square for what ever reason, that is what I do. I find my straightest stock and make what I need. A t-square using the same thickness of ply that your lofting on is nice. Another method is to use the 3-4-5 rule to get square. 3 units one way, 4 units perpendicular to that, 5 units across the diagonal. (I use this as a check even when I use a square, just in case the square is out). Then of course you can pull diagonals of the rectangle, but if the lines are equally skewed, then that doesn't help... Just out of curiosity why are you lofting on the wall? Are you going to pull it down prior to patterning the frames? I like to lay my frame stock right on the lofting "floor" to mark them out.
            >
            > Dirtsailor
            >

            > ________________________________

          • John Almberg
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 12, 2009
              > Why not build a square out of wood?

              Well, the simple answer is, because I didn't think of it. But I like the
              idea.

              > Just out of curiosity why are you lofting on the wall?

              Because I'm short of floor space and I thought it was a good idea at the
              time.

              > Are you
              > going to pull it down prior to patterning the frames? I like to lay my
              > frame stock right on the lofting "floor" to mark them out.

              Believe me, next time I will. I've actually already built the frames,
              and it was a real pain tacking them on the wall.

              My blog is running about 2 weeks behind the build, but when I get to
              that part, I will definitely recommend against lofting on the wall :-)

              -- John
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009
              THE easy way to "erect" a perpendicular station line is with a compass.
              Make a simple beam compass out of a piece of 1-by about a yard long by
              driving a small nail through one end and then drilling two holes to fit a
              pencil or pen snuggly, one hole about 18" from the nail, and the other
              about 36" from it (measurements not critical at all). For best accuracy
              you should use a mechanical pencil or a ballpoint pen, so the writing part
              will be centered in the holes in the beam.

              Mark the horizontal position of the station on the baseline. Put the
              pencil in the hole closest to the nail and strike an arc from the station
              point through the baseline on each side of the station. Move the pencil to
              the farther hole and strike an arc from the intersection of each of the
              first arcs with the baseline, above the station point. A line drawn
              through the intersection of the arcs and the position point on the
              baseline will be perfectly perpendicular to the baseline. Additional
              station lines can be erected by measuring from both ends of the original,
              but be careful to keep the rule parallel to the baseline.

              See the attachment.

              On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:08:51 -0700, John A wrote:

              > In the latest installment of my blog, my first attempt at lofting is a
              > total failure...
              >
              > http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/10/i-discover-use-for-trigonometry.html

              I care not for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the
              better for it. <Abraham Lincoln>
            • JohnA
              Message 7 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009

                > THE easy way to "erect" a perpendicular station line is with a compass.

                NOW you tell me! :-)

                My second attempt at lofting was a success, thanks to a home-made beam compass...

                http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/10/lofting-take-2.html

                -- John
              • JohnA
                Message 8 of 15 , Oct 21, 2009
                  Now that I've sort of got the hang of my lofting techniques, lofting Cabin Boy's body plan was pretty easy:

                  New Blog Post:

                  http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/10/building-bones.html

                  -- John
                • JohnA
                  Message 9 of 15 , Oct 27, 2009
                    I'm super excited about this week's garage sale find. And I have a cautionary tale about being 'too careful' (i.e. cheap) with money.

                    A couple weeks ago, I went to visit Roger, a very experienced boat builder in my area. I don't know what he thought of me, since I don't remember doing anything more intelligent than walking around his amazing shop with my mouth open, uttering the word 'Wow' every so often, but I learned a lot from him.

                    Among the other secrets he let me in on was the fact that you could find great old tools at garage sales for less money than you'd spend buying new tools of inferior quality...

                    See complete blog post:

                    http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/10/i-score-some-blades.html

                    -- John