Building a 'Cabin Boy'

  • JohnA
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 8, 2009
      Just found this group and wanted to say hi. I'm building a 'Cabin Boy' skiff as my first build. I've got her lofted and the forms are nearly done. Lots of fun.

      I suddenly realized I was learning a lot that I'd probably forget if I didn't write it down, so started a blog. If anyone's interested, it's at http://unlikelyboatbuilder.com

      I'm still playing catch-up with the blog, but it should be up-to-date in a week or two. I took pics as I went along, before thinking about a blog.

      If I finish Cabin Boy and am happy with the results, the plan is to build a bigger boat, possibly a "Great Bear".

      Anyone know of any pics of Great Bear? I can't seem to find anything on the Net.

      Thanks!

      Brgds: John
    • Alan Boman
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 8, 2009

        Hi John,

        Welcome to  the Group!

        As a novice boat builder myself (and ex-computer business as it happens), I get the greatest comfort from the maxim that “Any large problem is only a lot of little problems all put together”.  Solve one thing at a time and eventually the big problem will have disappeared all by itself.  At least, I’m hoping that’s true, but so far so good…….  J

        Alan

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 9, 2009
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Boman" <alan@...> wrote:

          > Hi John,
          > Welcome to the Group!
          >
          > As a novice boat builder myself (and ex-computer business as it happens), I
          > get the greatest comfort from the maxim that "Any large problem is only a
          > lot of little problems all put together". Solve one thing at a time and
          > eventually the big problem will have disappeared all by itself. At least,
          > I'm hoping that's true, but so far so good... J

          Thanks, Alan. That, and patience. I've recently discovered that you can climb any mountain, as long as you climb it slowly enough :-)

          In the latest episode of my blog, I tackle my first wood-working project, ever...

          http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/10/my-first-major-wood-working-project.html

          Glad I chose a small boat!

          -- John
        • gavin atkin
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 9, 2009
            What displacement do you need this door to have? Does it need to include sleeping accommodation? Are you going for the round portholes or the rectangular? ;-)

            Actually, I'm a bit worried about this project. One of the principles that applies to boats is that boats that aren't loved don't get used. So in choosing this recycled door it might be wise to take care to recycle something you actually like the look of - or you might find yourself climbing in and out of the pantry window on a daily basis. And that would never do!

            Gav (Please forgive...)

          • DirtSailor
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 9, 2009
              Hi John,

              I too have plans for and plan to build the cabin boy. I noticed your posts on WB forum. i have lofted the boat, but have not gone any further with it at this time. I plan on going a bit less traditional in the build, and will be using ply for planking and the bottom. It will be fun to track your progress and see the boat progress along.

              Good luck.

              Dirtsailor

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 9, 2009
                Actually, doubly please forgive - this was a laboured joke, posted to the wrong thread on the wrong forum. I don't recall ever doing it before. Please put it down to anaesthetic after effects...

                Gav

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, gavin atkin <gavinatkin@...> wrote:

                > What displacement do you need this door to have? Does it need to include sleeping accommodation? Are you going for the round portholes or the rectangular? ;-)
                >
                > Actually, I'm a bit worried about this project. One of the principles that applies to boats is that boats that aren't loved don't get used. So in choosing this recycled door it might be wise to take care to recycle something you actually like the look of - or you might find yourself climbing in and out of the pantry window on a daily basis. And that would never do!
                >
                > Gav (Please forgive...)

              • JohnA
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 9, 2009
                  > I too have plans for and plan to build the cabin boy. I noticed your posts on WB forum. i have lofted the boat, but have not gone any further with it at this time. I plan on going a bit less traditional in the build, and will be using ply for planking and the bottom. It will be fun to track your progress and see the boat progress along.

                  Well it's fun to do. I'm really enjoying it.

                  I think I've just tracked down some oak for the stem and keelson, so hopefully I'll be laying down the backbone this time next week.
                • JohnA
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 12, 2009
                    In the latest installment of my blog, my first attempt at lofting is a total failure...

                    http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/10/i-discover-use-for-trigonometry.html

                    -- John
                  • DirtSailor
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 12, 2009
                      John,

                      Why not build a square out of wood? Anytime I need a large square for what ever reason, that is what I do. I find my straightest stock and make what I need. A t-square using the same thickness of ply that your lofting on is nice.  Another method is to use the 3-4-5 rule to get square. 3 units one way, 4 units perpendicular to that, 5 units across the diagonal. (I use this as a check even when I use a square, just in case the square is out). Then of course you can pull diagonals of the rectangle, but if the lines are equally skewed, then that doesn't help... Just out of curiosity why are you lofting on the wall? Are you going to pull it down prior to patterning the frames? I like to lay my frame stock right on the lofting "floor" to mark them out.

                      Dirtsailor

                      In the latest installment of my blog, my first attempt at lofting is a total failure...

                      http://www.unlikely boatbuilder. com/2009/ 10/i-discover- use-for-trigonom etry.html

                      -- John

                    • Jon n Wanda
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 12, 2009
                        And now you know why I put a plywood floor down and painted it a light color when I built my shop. The great thing is I can tack nails into it to string lines or hook a tape.

                        Jon

                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, DirtSailor <dirtsailor2003@...> wrote:

                        > John,
                        >
                        > Why not build a square out of wood? Anytime I need a large square for what ever reason, that is what I do. I find my straightest stock and make what I need. A t-square using the same thickness of ply that your lofting on is nice. Another method is to use the 3-4-5 rule to get square. 3 units one way, 4 units perpendicular to that, 5 units across the diagonal. (I use this as a check even when I use a square, just in case the square is out). Then of course you can pull diagonals of the rectangle, but if the lines are equally skewed, then that doesn't help... Just out of curiosity why are you lofting on the wall? Are you going to pull it down prior to patterning the frames? I like to lay my frame stock right on the lofting "floor" to mark them out.
                        >
                        > Dirtsailor
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • John Almberg
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 12, 2009
                          > Why not build a square out of wood?

                          Well, the simple answer is, because I didn't think of it. But I like the
                          idea.

                          > Just out of curiosity why are you lofting on the wall?

                          Because I'm short of floor space and I thought it was a good idea at the
                          time.

                          > Are you
                          > going to pull it down prior to patterning the frames? I like to lay my
                          > frame stock right on the lofting "floor" to mark them out.

                          Believe me, next time I will. I've actually already built the frames,
                          and it was a real pain tacking them on the wall.

                          My blog is running about 2 weeks behind the build, but when I get to
                          that part, I will definitely recommend against lofting on the wall :-)

                          -- John
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009
                          THE easy way to "erect" a perpendicular station line is with a compass.
                          Make a simple beam compass out of a piece of 1-by about a yard long by
                          driving a small nail through one end and then drilling two holes to fit a
                          pencil or pen snuggly, one hole about 18" from the nail, and the other
                          about 36" from it (measurements not critical at all). For best accuracy
                          you should use a mechanical pencil or a ballpoint pen, so the writing part
                          will be centered in the holes in the beam.

                          Mark the horizontal position of the station on the baseline. Put the
                          pencil in the hole closest to the nail and strike an arc from the station
                          point through the baseline on each side of the station. Move the pencil to
                          the farther hole and strike an arc from the intersection of each of the
                          first arcs with the baseline, above the station point. A line drawn
                          through the intersection of the arcs and the position point on the
                          baseline will be perfectly perpendicular to the baseline. Additional
                          station lines can be erected by measuring from both ends of the original,
                          but be careful to keep the rule parallel to the baseline.

                          See the attachment.

                          On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:08:51 -0700, John A wrote:

                          > In the latest installment of my blog, my first attempt at lofting is a
                          > total failure...
                          >
                          > http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/10/i-discover-use-for-trigonometry.html

                          I care not for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the
                          better for it. <Abraham Lincoln>
                        • JohnA
                          Message 13 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009

                            > THE easy way to "erect" a perpendicular station line is with a compass.

                            NOW you tell me! :-)

                            My second attempt at lofting was a success, thanks to a home-made beam compass...

                            http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/10/lofting-take-2.html

                            -- John
                          • JohnA
                            Message 14 of 15 , Oct 21, 2009
                              Now that I've sort of got the hang of my lofting techniques, lofting Cabin Boy's body plan was pretty easy:

                              New Blog Post:

                              http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/10/building-bones.html

                              -- John
                            • JohnA
                              Message 15 of 15 , Oct 27, 2009
                                I'm super excited about this week's garage sale find. And I have a cautionary tale about being 'too careful' (i.e. cheap) with money.

                                A couple weeks ago, I went to visit Roger, a very experienced boat builder in my area. I don't know what he thought of me, since I don't remember doing anything more intelligent than walking around his amazing shop with my mouth open, uttering the word 'Wow' every so often, but I learned a lot from him.

                                Among the other secrets he let me in on was the fact that you could find great old tools at garage sales for less money than you'd spend buying new tools of inferior quality...

                                See complete blog post:

                                http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/10/i-score-some-blades.html

                                -- John