Happy Clam for Sale!

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2009
      I particularly like John Atkin's Happy Clam "Atkinized" (V-bottom)
      Seabright Skiff, and here's one John himself built! Too bad they don't
      have any photos...

      http://www.carmansrivermaritime.org/Auction/atkin.htm

      I hope to have the Happy Clam plans in the Atkin catalog soon...

      One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous
      citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases
      which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for
      independence. <Charles A. Beard>
    • lon wells
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 2009
        John Atkins designed and built Happy Clam. Is that a young John Atkins at the helm in the July 1951 Mechanix Illustrated?
        http://countryplans.com/vintage_farm//boats/HappyClamSkiff.pdf

        It is a shame the museum is selling such a historic boat.
        Lon Wells

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28, 2009
          It doesn't look like John at the helm, except maybe in the top photo; I'll
          bet it's Ed Davis.

          http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/images/Atkins.jpg

          On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:48:35 -0700, lon w wrote:

          > John Atkins designed and built Happy Clam. Is that a young John Atkins
          > at the helm in the July 1951 Mechanix Illustrated?
          > http://countryplans.com/vintage_farm//boats/HappyClamSkiff.pdf
          >
          > It is a shame the museum is selling such a historic boat.
          >>
          >> http://www.carmansrivermaritime.org/Auction/atkin.htm

          "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
          "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the
          truth. <Alfred North Whitehead>