Re: [AtkinBoats] Breasthooks? Kneebraces?

  • huttbldr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2009
      On Atkins Russell R he called them "quarter knees"

      In a message dated 9/12/2009 1:07:42 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, lsumpter@... writes:

      I'm building an 8ft rowing dinghy (sort of Jaques Mertens' D4, but
      modified), and I'm about to add braces between the sides and the stern
      transom. You know, those small triangular things. I've been referring to
      them as "breasthooks" , but I see technically those are on the bow.
      They're not "kneebraces" because those are vertical braces for the transom.

      So, what DO you call them?

      druid
      http://www.bcboatne t.org

    • luckettg1
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2009
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Lloyd Sumpter <lsumpter@...> wrote:

        > I'm building an 8ft rowing dinghy (sort of Jaques Mertens' D4, but
        > modified), and I'm about to add braces between the sides and the stern
        > transom. You know, those small triangular things. I've been referring to
        > them as "breasthooks", but I see technically those are on the bow.
        > They're not "kneebraces" because those are vertical braces for the transom.
        >
        > So, what DO you call them?
        >
        > druid
        > http://www.bcboatnet.org

        Quarter knees.
        Are you building the Prameke 7'-8", PK78?
        Greg Luckett
      • John Campbell
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 14, 2009
          Quarter knees is correct......some people make them out of natural crooks from oak or apple limbs that have grown in a shape so as to allow them to be cut from the crooks.  I make them up in laminated fashion using 1/8" thick layers of Honduran mahogany on a home-made form that will give me the approximate shape I need and then trace them out using a paper pattern to fit between the transom and sides of the boat.  Laminated 1/4 knees are VERY strong.....do not use white oak in your lamination IF you use epoxy for the glue......white oak is notorious for bond failure when glued to itself.    Douglas fir works very well for light canoes and similiar craft.

          John Campbell
          Belton, Texas