Re: Eric (the elder?)

  • roninpnw
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
      John,

      Those are very nice little boats. I especially love the sweeping
      shear on Handy Andy, it'd look great bobbing behind Ronin (I wonder
      if she'd need to have the mast moved to fit a spritsail... I'd like
      to store shorter spars). One of my main concerns in any tender would
      be that it's beachable. And I don't mean velvety sand, I mean
      wherever I may end up (in Puget Sound for now, which is varied and
      nasty enough). I fear canvas would take a licking... I have a bit of
      trepidation changing building plans, since I'm rather new at this.
      One thought I had, simply with a flat-bottom boat, which I've seen
      done quite regularly, is to encase the floor and chines in
      fiberglass. Now that I think about it, that would be feasible with a
      canvas boat, but would lose that canvas texture up close. And it's
      blasphemous, I know, but what am I to do?

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4 1:26 AM
        I don't think you'd have to move Handy Andy's mast to fit a spritsail. Where
        would you move it to anyway? It's already right up in the eyes of the boat.
        What you might have to do is reduce the rake of the mast, maybe even raking
        it forward a tad. You want the center of effort of the spritsail to be close
        to where the CE of the jib-headed sail was. Figuring that out isn't
        difficult, the CE of the jib-headed sail is shown on the Handy Andy plans,
        and Jim Michalak tells how to figure the CE of the spritsail (and much else
        of use to balancing the rig of a small, shallow boat) in a recent
        newsletter:

        http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/15jun04.htm

        The old canoe nuts foam at the mouth when they hear of somebody
        fiberglassing an old wood and canvas canoe (and I don't blame them!), but it
        might not be a bad idea for a new Handy Andy. You wouldn't be desecrating
        the work of a classic craftsman, after all. The thin, soft cedar planks
        under the 'glass probably wouldn't move enough to cause any harm, which is
        the usual problem with fiberglassing planked boats. BTW, when done properly,
        a canvas-covered boat or canoe doesn't show any canvas texture, the weave is
        supposed to be all full of filler. The finish should be smooth as a baby's
        bottom. <g>

        The planking of a canvas-covered boat doesn't need to fit tightly, and you
        don't need to taper and shape the planks, making the construction a bit
        easier for a tyro. Nowadays, somebody could strip-plank Handy Andy, glass
        her inside and out, and get away with no (or few) frames like a stripper
        canoe. Or cold-mold her. But don't let Mrs. Atkin know I'm talking about
        things like that. She hates it when people depart from the plans! <g> If I
        was going to build Handy Andy I'd do it lapstrake, with plywood planks glued
        at the laps, using the Vintage plans for a guide. For landing on rocky
        beaches I'd put hardwood strips along the edges of the lower laps. The
        planks can also be individually fiberglassed before installation.

        On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:55:22 -0000, Scott wrote:
        > Those are very nice little boats. I especially love the sweeping
        > shear on Handy Andy, it'd look great bobbing behind Ronin (I wonder
        > if she'd need to have the mast moved to fit a spritsail... I'd like
        > to store shorter spars). One of my main concerns in any tender would
        > be that it's beachable. And I don't mean velvety sand, I mean
        > wherever I may end up (in Puget Sound for now, which is varied and
        > nasty enough). I fear canvas would take a licking... I have a bit of
        > trepidation changing building plans, since I'm rather new at this.
        > One thought I had, simply with a flat-bottom boat, which I've seen
        > done quite regularly, is to encase the floor and chines in
        > fiberglass. Now that I think about it, that would be feasible with a
        > canvas boat, but would lose that canvas texture up close. And it's
        > blasphemous, I know, but what am I to do?

        I care not for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the better for it.
        <Abraham Lincoln>
      • roninpnw
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 30, 2004
          I've been away a little while... mostly covered in sawdust or varnish
          for the past couple of months. Anyhow, I finished up the 'project of
          the moment' and thought I'd let ya'll know since it was discussed
          over here!

          http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?
          ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=010132

          Now I can start the winter project... Ronin's actual tender!

          -Scott

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
            The baby tender is beautiful Scott! If you can stuff like that you won't
            have any trouble building a Handy Andy or Vintage. <g>

            On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:22:20 -0000, Scott wrote:
            > I've been away a little while... mostly covered in sawdust or varnish
            > for the past couple of months. Anyhow, I finished up the 'project of
            > the moment' and thought I'd let ya'll know since it was discussed
            > over here!
            >
            > http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?
            > ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=010132
            >
            > Now I can start the winter project... Ronin's actual tender!

            Show me a man who has enjoyed his school days and I'll show you a
            bully and a bore. <Robert Morley>