Re: quest for cheap inboard setup

  • paulsquire21
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2009
      > The thing is you don't need full power for
      > reverse. You just need it to maneuver. So
      > if you also setup a small electric motor on
      > the prop shaft that could be disconnected
      > with a belt clutch you could have a low speed
      > forward reverse maneuvering drive. Then
      > disconnect it and clutch in the main drive.

      Great idea! With a decent alternator on the main engine you could charge up a battery bank with enough capacity to provide several hours of total silent low speed trolling too. I just have to think hard about whether I really don't need full power for reverse. What about stopping in a hurry?

      What about modifying the starter motor? Two "ignition" switches feed it power on different occasions (starting & reversing). With the second switch the polarity is reversed. Thus the motor spins backwards so doesn't throw it's drive pawl into the main engine's ring gear. Instead it throw out another pawl you'd mounted on the other end of the starter motor shaft that engages in a second "ring" gear connected to the drive shaft.
    • calfee20
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2009
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "paulsquire21" <paulsquire21@...> wrote:

        > > The thing is you don't need full power for
        > > reverse. You just need it to maneuver. So
        > > if you also setup a small electric motor on
        > > the prop shaft that could be disconnected
        > > with a belt clutch you could have a low speed
        > > forward reverse maneuvering drive. Then
        > > disconnect it and clutch in the main drive.
        >
        > Great idea! With a decent alternator on the main engine you could charge up a battery bank with enough capacity to provide several hours of total silent low speed trolling too. I just have to think hard about whether I really don't need full power for reverse. What about stopping in a hurry?
        >
        > What about modifying the starter motor? Two "ignition" switches feed it power on different occasions (starting & reversing). With the second switch the polarity is reversed. Thus the motor spins backwards so doesn't throw it's drive pawl into the main engine's ring gear. Instead it throw out another pawl you'd mounted on the other end of the starter motor shaft that engages in a second "ring" gear connected to the drive shaft.

        Would you need a larger alternator? Reverse would be used for just a few minutes say 50 amps for 5 minutes. A 30 amp alternator would only take less than 10 minutes to put it back.

        That starter sounds to complex. How about a second starter motor.
        I had a photo of a reverse set up in a dune buggy that had a ring gear on the drive shaft with an additional starter but I can't find it.

      • paulsquire21
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9, 2009
          > Would you need a larger alternator?
          > Reverse would be used for just a few
          > minutes say 50 amps for 5 minutes.

          I'd use the electric drive much more than that. A day's fishing would typically comprise maybe 3 hours high speed motoring using the internal combustion engine and 7 hours trolling using the electric engine.

          Paul