Reversing & Feathering Propeller

  • paulsquire21
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2009
      Is a reversing / feathering propeller more or less trouble than a gearbox and clutch? At 3000rpm Kawasaki's FD791D-DFI horizontal, liquid cooled, petrol engine <http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/detail.aspx?id=7&cat_id=1> develops a continuious 20hp and maximum 25hp. This seams ideal for direct coupling to the propeller shaft of Shoals Runner, which requires a maximum 22hp at 3000 rpm. The idea of a gearbox (and clutch) seems unattractive given this perfect match of power and rpm, except I might want to use reverse to stop the boat more quickly than is possible by using an oar or pole. I have heard of feathering and reversing propellers but have not been able to find any information. Do they exist? Are they a viable option in this case?
    • calfee20
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2009
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "paulsquire21" <paulsquire21@...> wrote:

        > Is a reversing / feathering propeller more or less trouble than a gearbox and clutch? At 3000rpm Kawasaki's FD791D-DFI horizontal, liquid cooled, petrol engine <http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/detail.aspx?id=7&cat_id=1> develops a continuious 20hp and maximum 25hp. This seams ideal for direct coupling to the propeller shaft of Shoals Runner, which requires a maximum 22hp at 3000 rpm. The idea of a gearbox (and clutch) seems unattractive given this perfect match of power and rpm, except I might want to use reverse to stop the boat more quickly than is possible by using an oar or pole. I have heard of feathering and reversing propellers but have not been able to find any information. Do they exist? Are they a viable option in this case?

        They tend to be expensive and how do they work? The ones from Variprop have adjustable presets for forward and reverse but you still need a transmission.

        I found this add for a price example.

        feathering prop for sale fits A-4
        I took the Variprop feathering prop off my Tartan when I sold her. The prop is perfect for a direct drive Atomic 4 driven boat of up to about 35 feet. Variprop offers great tech help.

        The prop is a 2 blade, 12 inch diameter, 1 inch shaft. Fully adjustable pitch in forward or reverse. I used it only one season, about 5 months.

        New the prop costs $1900. I'm selling it for $999.