quest for cheap inboard setup

  • calfee20
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2009
      From a link someone left here I joined the yahoo club for electric boats. There is a link in the files section that got me to thinking about how to solve the drive problem.

      The thing is you don't need full power for reverse. You just need it to maneuver. So if you also setup a small electric motor on the prop shaft that could be disconnected with a belt clutch you could have a low speed forward reverse maneuvering drive. Then disconnect it and clutch in the main drive.

      You would need a motor with a clutch that has little or no drag when disengaged. Kubota makes a later model B series like the B7800 that has an engine clutch unit and as an added bonus there is a gearbox in the bell housing that drops the output shaft down to oil pan level. That motor should be set up the way Robb White's was but connected directly to the prop. The clutch can disengage the diesel and allow the electric motor to take over. After all you already have a battery.

      I am planning on building a Shoal's Runner in the next couple of years and I think I have finally figured out the drive system. You could even incorporate the kubota antistart switch to lock out the electrics until the clutch is disengaged

      Take a look at the files on the O'day Javelin in the electric boat group. It even has wiring diagrams.

      Let me know what you think.................Tom C
    • paulsquire21
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2009
        > The thing is you don't need full power for
        > reverse. You just need it to maneuver. So
        > if you also setup a small electric motor on
        > the prop shaft that could be disconnected
        > with a belt clutch you could have a low speed
        > forward reverse maneuvering drive. Then
        > disconnect it and clutch in the main drive.

        Great idea! With a decent alternator on the main engine you could charge up a battery bank with enough capacity to provide several hours of total silent low speed trolling too. I just have to think hard about whether I really don't need full power for reverse. What about stopping in a hurry?

        What about modifying the starter motor? Two "ignition" switches feed it power on different occasions (starting & reversing). With the second switch the polarity is reversed. Thus the motor spins backwards so doesn't throw it's drive pawl into the main engine's ring gear. Instead it throw out another pawl you'd mounted on the other end of the starter motor shaft that engages in a second "ring" gear connected to the drive shaft.
      • calfee20
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2009
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "paulsquire21" <paulsquire21@...> wrote:

          > > The thing is you don't need full power for
          > > reverse. You just need it to maneuver. So
          > > if you also setup a small electric motor on
          > > the prop shaft that could be disconnected
          > > with a belt clutch you could have a low speed
          > > forward reverse maneuvering drive. Then
          > > disconnect it and clutch in the main drive.
          >
          > Great idea! With a decent alternator on the main engine you could charge up a battery bank with enough capacity to provide several hours of total silent low speed trolling too. I just have to think hard about whether I really don't need full power for reverse. What about stopping in a hurry?
          >
          > What about modifying the starter motor? Two "ignition" switches feed it power on different occasions (starting & reversing). With the second switch the polarity is reversed. Thus the motor spins backwards so doesn't throw it's drive pawl into the main engine's ring gear. Instead it throw out another pawl you'd mounted on the other end of the starter motor shaft that engages in a second "ring" gear connected to the drive shaft.

          Would you need a larger alternator? Reverse would be used for just a few minutes say 50 amps for 5 minutes. A 30 amp alternator would only take less than 10 minutes to put it back.

          That starter sounds to complex. How about a second starter motor.
          I had a photo of a reverse set up in a dune buggy that had a ring gear on the drive shaft with an additional starter but I can't find it.

        • paulsquire21
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9, 2009
            > Would you need a larger alternator?
            > Reverse would be used for just a few
            > minutes say 50 amps for 5 minutes.

            I'd use the electric drive much more than that. A day's fishing would typically comprise maybe 3 hours high speed motoring using the internal combustion engine and 7 hours trolling using the electric engine.

            Paul