Re: Looking for a boat to match my engine

  • uncleralph123
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
    • lon wells
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
        The Atkins design 17 foot Seabright lapstrake skiff Happy Clam will do 20 MPH with your 10 HP motor. You could build it as a plywood lapstrake.

        http://countryplans.com/vintage_farm//boats/HappyClamSkiff.pdf
        http://diyfiles.com/clam.html
        Lon
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
          I keep pestering Mrs. Atkin to put Happy Clam in the catalog because I
          think it'd be quite popular. <sigh> It's possible that the rights to the
          plan still belong to Popular Mechanix... But she'll sell you the plans if
          you ask her nicely, and the drawings will be much better than what you get
          for free.

          On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 13:14:27 -0700, lon wrote:

          > The Atkins design 17 foot Seabright lapstrake skiff Happy Clam will do
          > 20 MPH with your 10 HP motor. You could build it as a plywood lapstrake.
          >
          > http://countryplans.com/vintage_farm//boats/HappyClamSkiff.pdf
          > http://diyfiles.com/clam.html

          If perfection were needed for friendship the world would be a
          wilderness for our love. <Thomas Jefferson>
        • Alan Boman
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
            John,

            I'm intrigued by your comments about Happy Clam - has Mrs Pat got many
            others salted away and not released ? Is that because of copyright concerns
            ?

            Do you now if the plans for "Mischief", the first ever tunnel stern, have
            survived?

            Cheers

            Alan

            I keep pestering Mrs. Atkin to put Happy Clam in the catalog because I
            think it'd be quite popular. <sigh> It's possible that the rights to the
            plan still belong to Popular Mechanix... But she'll sell you the plans if
            you ask her nicely, and the drawings will be much better than what you get
            for free.

            On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 13:14:27 -0700, lon wrote:

            > The Atkins design 17 foot Seabright lapstrake skiff Happy Clam will do
            > 20 MPH with your 10 HP motor. You could build it as a plywood lapstrake.
            >
            > http://countryplans.com/vintage_farm//boats/HappyClamSkiff.pdf
            > http://diyfiles.com/clam.html

            If perfection were needed for friendship the world would be a
            wilderness for our love. <Thomas Jefferson>

            ------------------------------------

            <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • echo172@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2009
              What happens when an outboard is put in a seabright?

            • Randy Bennell
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4, 2009
                Anyone out there know how well the tunnel stern boats do in rough water? How do they compare with a deep V hull?

                Randy

                --
                John <jkohnen@boat- links.com>

                ------------ --------- --------- ------

                <http://www.atkinboa tplans.com/>

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • windmill4048
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 7, 2009
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Bennell" <bennell@...> wrote:

                  > Anyone out there know how well the tunnel stern boats do in rough water? How
                  > do they compare with a deep V hull?
                  >
                  > Randy

                  Randy,

                  My Rescue Minor handles rough water well up to 3 to 4'. These boats as semidisplacement hules and ride much softer than a planning hull. You do have to be prepared to deal with some air in the tunnel in rough seas. That causes momintary spin up of the RPM.