Re: 22HP @ 3000 rpm gas engine

  • paulsquire21
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
      >> Please tell me where you are able to find
      >> cheap gearboxes for such small power

      > This is a problem. I thought I'd avoid it
      > altogether and use direct drive for fwd and
      > a pole or paddle for reverse.

      If I got fed up with the pole I might try a disk & wheel system in which a disk is mounted on vertical engine's output shaft. A wheel is mounted on the boat's propeller shaft with a lever to bring it up to the disk. The lever is arranged so it can bring the wheel up to the disk on either side of the disk's center thus giving fwd and reverse. I believe this system may be used in some larger ride-on mowers.

      I uploaded a sketch at
      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YJmdSnTgCAESFamdkkh8Ss0GmtxBTjVJu15jYNu28f32wk7rDMANq3-S3y68FoUx_nkhaAiO9HbfcwPWUPAJgS17lN5up7CzU8ot/Cheap%20Gearbox%20%26%20Clutch.jpg

      The engine is a 26hp liquid cooled Kawasaki I found at
      https://www.surpluscenter.com/Item.asp?UID=2009090116443760&catname=engines&item=28-1714
    • Rob's Mail
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
        Try Beta Marine in NC
        >> Please tell me where you are able to find
        >> cheap gearboxes for such small power

        > This is a problem. I thought I'd avoid it
        > altogether and use direct drive for fwd and
        > a pole or paddle for reverse.

        If I got fed up with the pole I might try a disk & wheel system in which a
        disk is mounted on vertical engine's output shaft. A wheel is mounted on
        the boat's propeller shaft with a lever to bring it up to the disk. The
        lever is arranged so it can bring the wheel up to the disk on either side of
        the disk's center thus giving fwd and reverse. I believe this system may be
        used in some larger ride-on mowers.

        I uploaded a sketch at
        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YJmdSnTgCAESFamdkkh8Ss0GmtxBTjVJu15jYNu28f32wk7rDMANq3-S3y68FoUx_nkhaAiO9HbfcwPWUPAJgS17lN5up7CzU8ot/Cheap%20Gearbox%20%26%20Clutch.jpg

        The engine is a 26hp liquid cooled Kawasaki I found at
        https://www.surpluscenter.com/Item.asp?UID=2009090116443760&catname=engines&item=28-1714

        <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        06:52:00
      • Alan Boman
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009

          The disk & wheel style transmission you describe is used in many “ride-on” lawn mowers. You can visit www.troybilt.com for some more details.

          Also, Robb White who built an Atkin “Rescue Minor” describes a similar system he used with hinged engine mounts on a Kubota diesel engine, which seemed to work quite well.  He describes it in some detail at http://www.robbwhite.com/rescue.minor.machinery.html

          Hope that helps.

          Alan