Re: 22HP @ 3000 rpm gas engine

  • paulsquire21
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
      > Please tell me where you are able to find cheap gearboxes
      > for such small power

      This is a problem. I thought I'd avoid it altogether and use direct drive for fwd and a pole or paddle for reverse.
    • paulsquire21
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
        > Modern small diesels are light and much smoother
        > than older models. They do make a nice racket
        > though.

        Can you quiet them down with a serious muffler or does a lot of the noise come from the compression and injectors, which aren't affected by exhaust silencing?
      • paulsquire21
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
          >> Please tell me where you are able to find
          >> cheap gearboxes for such small power

          > This is a problem. I thought I'd avoid it
          > altogether and use direct drive for fwd and
          > a pole or paddle for reverse.

          If I got fed up with the pole I might try a disk & wheel system in which a disk is mounted on vertical engine's output shaft. A wheel is mounted on the boat's propeller shaft with a lever to bring it up to the disk. The lever is arranged so it can bring the wheel up to the disk on either side of the disk's center thus giving fwd and reverse. I believe this system may be used in some larger ride-on mowers.

          I uploaded a sketch at
          http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YJmdSnTgCAESFamdkkh8Ss0GmtxBTjVJu15jYNu28f32wk7rDMANq3-S3y68FoUx_nkhaAiO9HbfcwPWUPAJgS17lN5up7CzU8ot/Cheap%20Gearbox%20%26%20Clutch.jpg

          The engine is a 26hp liquid cooled Kawasaki I found at
          https://www.surpluscenter.com/Item.asp?UID=2009090116443760&catname=engines&item=28-1714
        • Rob's Mail
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
            Try Beta Marine in NC
            >> Please tell me where you are able to find
            >> cheap gearboxes for such small power

            > This is a problem. I thought I'd avoid it
            > altogether and use direct drive for fwd and
            > a pole or paddle for reverse.

            If I got fed up with the pole I might try a disk & wheel system in which a
            disk is mounted on vertical engine's output shaft. A wheel is mounted on
            the boat's propeller shaft with a lever to bring it up to the disk. The
            lever is arranged so it can bring the wheel up to the disk on either side of
            the disk's center thus giving fwd and reverse. I believe this system may be
            used in some larger ride-on mowers.

            I uploaded a sketch at
            http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YJmdSnTgCAESFamdkkh8Ss0GmtxBTjVJu15jYNu28f32wk7rDMANq3-S3y68FoUx_nkhaAiO9HbfcwPWUPAJgS17lN5up7CzU8ot/Cheap%20Gearbox%20%26%20Clutch.jpg

            The engine is a 26hp liquid cooled Kawasaki I found at
            https://www.surpluscenter.com/Item.asp?UID=2009090116443760&catname=engines&item=28-1714

            <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            06:52:00
          • Alan Boman
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009

              The disk & wheel style transmission you describe is used in many “ride-on” lawn mowers. You can visit www.troybilt.com for some more details.

              Also, Robb White who built an Atkin “Rescue Minor” describes a similar system he used with hinged engine mounts on a Kubota diesel engine, which seemed to work quite well.  He describes it in some detail at http://www.robbwhite.com/rescue.minor.machinery.html

              Hope that helps.

              Alan