Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: 22HP @ 3000 rpm gas engine

  • Giuliano Girometta
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
      Please tell me where you are able to find cheap gearboxes for such small power, all the ones i come through were expensive (almost or more than the engine) and suitable for large power.
      Thanks

      Giuliano

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
        > Please tell me where you are able to find cheap gearboxes
        > for such small power

        This is a problem. I thought I'd avoid it altogether and use direct drive for fwd and a pole or paddle for reverse.
      • paulsquire21
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
          > Modern small diesels are light and much smoother
          > than older models. They do make a nice racket
          > though.

          Can you quiet them down with a serious muffler or does a lot of the noise come from the compression and injectors, which aren't affected by exhaust silencing?
        • paulsquire21
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
            >> Please tell me where you are able to find
            >> cheap gearboxes for such small power

            > This is a problem. I thought I'd avoid it
            > altogether and use direct drive for fwd and
            > a pole or paddle for reverse.

            If I got fed up with the pole I might try a disk & wheel system in which a disk is mounted on vertical engine's output shaft. A wheel is mounted on the boat's propeller shaft with a lever to bring it up to the disk. The lever is arranged so it can bring the wheel up to the disk on either side of the disk's center thus giving fwd and reverse. I believe this system may be used in some larger ride-on mowers.

            I uploaded a sketch at
            http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YJmdSnTgCAESFamdkkh8Ss0GmtxBTjVJu15jYNu28f32wk7rDMANq3-S3y68FoUx_nkhaAiO9HbfcwPWUPAJgS17lN5up7CzU8ot/Cheap%20Gearbox%20%26%20Clutch.jpg

            The engine is a 26hp liquid cooled Kawasaki I found at
            https://www.surpluscenter.com/Item.asp?UID=2009090116443760&catname=engines&item=28-1714
          • Rob's Mail
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
              Try Beta Marine in NC
              >> Please tell me where you are able to find
              >> cheap gearboxes for such small power

              > This is a problem. I thought I'd avoid it
              > altogether and use direct drive for fwd and
              > a pole or paddle for reverse.

              If I got fed up with the pole I might try a disk & wheel system in which a
              disk is mounted on vertical engine's output shaft. A wheel is mounted on
              the boat's propeller shaft with a lever to bring it up to the disk. The
              lever is arranged so it can bring the wheel up to the disk on either side of
              the disk's center thus giving fwd and reverse. I believe this system may be
              used in some larger ride-on mowers.

              I uploaded a sketch at
              http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YJmdSnTgCAESFamdkkh8Ss0GmtxBTjVJu15jYNu28f32wk7rDMANq3-S3y68FoUx_nkhaAiO9HbfcwPWUPAJgS17lN5up7CzU8ot/Cheap%20Gearbox%20%26%20Clutch.jpg

              The engine is a 26hp liquid cooled Kawasaki I found at
              https://www.surpluscenter.com/Item.asp?UID=2009090116443760&catname=engines&item=28-1714

              <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              06:52:00
            • Alan Boman
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009

                The disk & wheel style transmission you describe is used in many “ride-on” lawn mowers. You can visit www.troybilt.com for some more details.

                Also, Robb White who built an Atkin “Rescue Minor” describes a similar system he used with hinged engine mounts on a Kubota diesel engine, which seemed to work quite well.  He describes it in some detail at http://www.robbwhite.com/rescue.minor.machinery.html

                Hope that helps.

                Alan