Re: 22HP @ 3000 rpm gas engine

  • tinkerbell98683
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 29, 2009
      The weight is part of the balesting and with modern diesels the noise is much better as well as lighter.

      Jon

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 29, 2009
        Moyer Marine sells remanufactured Atomic Fours:

        http://www.moyermarine.com/rebuild.htm

        All you've gotta do is find a "core" engine to exchange...

        On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:17:00 -0700, paul wrote:

        > Several of the tunnel boats I'm considering call for about 22hp @
        > 3000rpm. Diesels seem noisy and heavy. Is there a smooth
        > multi-cylinder gas alternative? Like a modern Atomic 4 maybe?

        A man who is "ill-adjusted" to the world is always on the verge
        of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds
        himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister. <Hermann Hesse>
      • paulsquire21
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
          Honda GX690?
          http://www.honda-engines.com/engines/gx690.htm
          22hp and only 98lb. Sounds too good to be true. Wonder what's the catch?
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
            Air-cooled, no generator, no reverse gear, starter and carb aren't marine
            rated (you'd have to leave the engine out in the open), 22 hp. is at 3600
            rpm, continuous hp. would be less. On the plus side, it's got a nice flat
            torque curve...

            On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 00:40:37 -0700, paul wrote:

            > Honda GX690?
            > http://www.honda-engines.com/engines/gx690.htm
            > 22hp and only 98lb. Sounds too good to be true. Wonder what's the
            > catch?

            In politics, absurdity is not a handicap. <Napoleon Bonaparte>
          • windmill4048
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "paulsquire21" <paulsquire21@...> wrote:

              > Several of the tunnel boats I'm considering call for about 22hp @ 3000rpm. Diesels seem noisy and heavy. Is there a smooth multi-cylinder gas alternative? Like a modern Atomic 4 maybe?
              >
              > Paul

              Modern small diesels are light and much smoother than older models. They do make a nice racket though. And they are costly.

              Kobota based small diesels are usually good since the kobata cores are very, very available as are parts from farm stores and lawn care dealers.

              Look for a used one and do the marine conversion yourself.

              Or - I just had a good friend find a used marine generator at a large boat yard very cheap. The owner had replace it on his boat as the generator side was giving problems but the engine side was sound. Marine generators are already setup with the cooling and much of the other stuff you'd need. Gearboxes are not that expensive so you'd get a good marine engine cheap.
            • tinkerbell98683
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
                A good sorce of gas and diesels for a good price if in the open.
                https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp
                They carry a lot of interesting things.

                Jon

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "windmill4048" <baileyd4048@...> wrote:

                > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "paulsquire21" <paulsquire21@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Several of the tunnel boats I'm considering call for about 22hp @ 3000rpm. Diesels seem noisy and heavy. Is there a smooth multi-cylinder gas alternative? Like a modern Atomic 4 maybe?
                > >
                > > Paul
                > >

                > Modern small diesels are light and much smoother than older models. They do make a nice racket though. And they are costly.
                >
                > Kobota based small diesels are usually good since the kobata cores are very, very available as are parts from farm stores and lawn care dealers.
                >
                > Look for a used one and do the marine conversion yourself.
                >
                > Or - I just had a good friend find a used marine generator at a large boat yard very cheap. The owner had replace it on his boat as the generator side was giving problems but the engine side was sound. Marine generators are already setup with the cooling and much of the other stuff you'd need. Gearboxes are not that expensive so you'd get a good marine engine cheap.

              • Giuliano Girometta
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
                  Please tell me where you are able to find cheap gearboxes for such small power, all the ones i come through were expensive (almost or more than the engine) and suitable for large power.
                  Thanks

                  Giuliano

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
                    > Please tell me where you are able to find cheap gearboxes
                    > for such small power

                    This is a problem. I thought I'd avoid it altogether and use direct drive for fwd and a pole or paddle for reverse.
                  • paulsquire21
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
                      > Modern small diesels are light and much smoother
                      > than older models. They do make a nice racket
                      > though.

                      Can you quiet them down with a serious muffler or does a lot of the noise come from the compression and injectors, which aren't affected by exhaust silencing?
                    • paulsquire21
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
                        >> Please tell me where you are able to find
                        >> cheap gearboxes for such small power

                        > This is a problem. I thought I'd avoid it
                        > altogether and use direct drive for fwd and
                        > a pole or paddle for reverse.

                        If I got fed up with the pole I might try a disk & wheel system in which a disk is mounted on vertical engine's output shaft. A wheel is mounted on the boat's propeller shaft with a lever to bring it up to the disk. The lever is arranged so it can bring the wheel up to the disk on either side of the disk's center thus giving fwd and reverse. I believe this system may be used in some larger ride-on mowers.

                        I uploaded a sketch at
                        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YJmdSnTgCAESFamdkkh8Ss0GmtxBTjVJu15jYNu28f32wk7rDMANq3-S3y68FoUx_nkhaAiO9HbfcwPWUPAJgS17lN5up7CzU8ot/Cheap%20Gearbox%20%26%20Clutch.jpg

                        The engine is a 26hp liquid cooled Kawasaki I found at
                        https://www.surpluscenter.com/Item.asp?UID=2009090116443760&catname=engines&item=28-1714
                      • Rob's Mail
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
                          Try Beta Marine in NC
                          >> Please tell me where you are able to find
                          >> cheap gearboxes for such small power

                          > This is a problem. I thought I'd avoid it
                          > altogether and use direct drive for fwd and
                          > a pole or paddle for reverse.

                          If I got fed up with the pole I might try a disk & wheel system in which a
                          disk is mounted on vertical engine's output shaft. A wheel is mounted on
                          the boat's propeller shaft with a lever to bring it up to the disk. The
                          lever is arranged so it can bring the wheel up to the disk on either side of
                          the disk's center thus giving fwd and reverse. I believe this system may be
                          used in some larger ride-on mowers.

                          I uploaded a sketch at
                          http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YJmdSnTgCAESFamdkkh8Ss0GmtxBTjVJu15jYNu28f32wk7rDMANq3-S3y68FoUx_nkhaAiO9HbfcwPWUPAJgS17lN5up7CzU8ot/Cheap%20Gearbox%20%26%20Clutch.jpg

                          The engine is a 26hp liquid cooled Kawasaki I found at
                          https://www.surpluscenter.com/Item.asp?UID=2009090116443760&catname=engines&item=28-1714

                          <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          06:52:00
                        • Alan Boman
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009

                            The disk & wheel style transmission you describe is used in many “ride-on” lawn mowers. You can visit www.troybilt.com for some more details.

                            Also, Robb White who built an Atkin “Rescue Minor” describes a similar system he used with hinged engine mounts on a Kubota diesel engine, which seemed to work quite well.  He describes it in some detail at http://www.robbwhite.com/rescue.minor.machinery.html

                            Hope that helps.

                            Alan